Post-Grad: I’m Moving Home and I May Never Leave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For all the seniors out there, graduation is looming and life as we know it is about to end.  Yes, we will still be young, still be able to go out, and we still have so much to look forward to—blah, blah, blah.  It will never, ever be the same after graduation.  I may be the child in the bunch, but I’m sad it’s ending.  I don’t know if I’m ready.  I don’t know if I’m ready to not wake up at 2:00 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon, only to throw on sweats to get Chipotle, and then lay in bed until I have to shower and get ready to go out again.

There are so many pressures and issues facing graduating seniors—so many that I could write a senior thesis on it (I would never).  But one of the biggest issues? Moving out.  Once the kiddies have left the nest for four years, many are reluctant to return to living under the same roof as their parentals.  But I say DO IT! Move home!  After a nearly $200,000 education and all of those loans, moving home seems like the only logical option.  Unless of course you are one of those trust fund babies—forget you!

Now I know everyone is different, every family is different, every parent relationship is different, and where everyone grew up is different.  Some people may not have the option of moving home, but I am one of the lucky ones.  I have a loving family who supports me and a gorgeous home to live in thirty minutes outside the greatest city in the world, Manhattan, so my hopeful career is in sight.  I live on Long Island, which has anything a lady could want—the best food (REAL pizza, REAL bagels), the best high school bros you could ask for, NYC, bars, the beach and much, much more.  Most importantly, it holds the rest of my large family, which I have an unhealthy close-nit relationship with and need to be in nearby proximity to or I will be unable to function correctly.

Clearly these things are all specific to me and where I live.  I get it, not everyone has control over where they live.  All I’m saying is it is okay to move home after college.  And not just for a few months.  It’s okay for a few years.  I don’t understand the naysayers (cough, my roommate Sam, cough).  Every situation is different, but don’t look down upon what I think is a clever solution to building a solid savings account before entering the big, bad world on my own.  So many people I’ve talked to are stressing about where they are going to live after graduation.  If it’s a viable option, move home man.  Knock that problem off your list, and get to the stuff that matters – A JOB.  If home isn’t a viable option, don’t you dare think less of us taking advantage of our parents once again. I’m not embarrassed.

I have many blessings in my life, but one that stands out above all the rest is my unconditionally loving, Brooklyn raised, Italian-American mother.  First of all, she gave birth to me.  Second of all, she is the best mother in the world (love you ma!). Plus she spoils me to death!

(Theresa and her mom)

Don’t judge just yet. I promise, I’m not that lazy (this semester alone I have two unpaid internships, a paying job, a full class load, the lovely Her Campus regime, and DUH a social life).   Another bonus to moving home is the pampering you shall receive, at least the first few months.  Your parents are going to be so glad you are back; it will be like living in a hotel.  My mama, AKA Suzie Cream Cheese, does my laundry, cleans the house, lets me live in our lovely home rent-free, and the list goes on and on.  Not to mention she is an unbelievable cook – we are Italianos, that’s right you should be jealous.  Living under your parent’s roof usually entitles some perks.  The food is free, and prepared for you.  There’s flat screens, cable, whatever.  How about this, all the great things you had in high school and growing up, you have once again.  Only this time, you don’t have to lie in order to go out.  There’s no curfew and thank God you are finally of age to legally drink. (See: My brother and me coming home at 4:00 a.m. jumping in bed with my mom, she get’s up for work at 6:30 a.m.)  It’s all good in the hood.

To those out there who would love to move home but can’t for whatever reason, I’m sorry.  I commend you for your perseverance and becoming a full adult before me.  If any of you are looking to live in the New York area, we have a spare bedroom in the basement! Seriously, but as long as you are normal.  To all those who can move home, and refuse to because you are so over your parents – have fun with the responsibilities of every single thing that you have never thought of before.  And be nice to those parents of yours, they gave you everything.

Let me just leave you with this.  If after reading this, you hate me because you are jealous of the set up I have waiting for me at home (it’s pretty sweet), or enjoy the fact that you now feel a tad better that you are moving home after being on your own because that crazy writer on Her Campus said it was okay, I want to remind you of one thing.  We are still young — 21 or 22?  These novelties and somewhat carefree times in life will not last forever.  If your parents can and want to help you out for a few more years, why the hell not?  We have to enjoy this time in our lives while we are young and we can.  Let the too cool kids move out on their own, live in a ridiculously overpriced studio, located in Murderville, living off the Mickey Dee’s dollar menu meal, with no cell service, no cable and no loving family in sight.  Come see me, I’ll be living the good life on Long Island with my mama.

Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!