This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For pop culture junkies, celebrity stalkers, fashion obsessies, and anyone involved in the “biz”, awards season is the most wonderful time of the year. In these few months, there are a ton of different awards shows intertwined between fashion weeks and of course, some of the best parties of the year. For us normal folk it is very enjoyable to watch. While the Golden Globes is arguably the most fun show, where stars from both the film and television worlds are honored and drinks are flowing so there are sure to be drunk celebrity sightings, the Academy Awards is the most important and classic of them all. An Oscar, no matter which way you turn, is the most coveted award. Film rules this business, no matter how awesome or annoying that may be, and don’t let anyone tell you different.

The Oscars are guaranteed to bring out appearances from stars that audiences wouldn’t normally get to ogle at, and everyone, not just obsessive pop culture bloggers, watches – 41.3 million viewers watched in 2010.

This year’s hosts are the gloriously talented actress Miss Anne Hathaway and the renaissance man, Mr. James Franco, who is also nominated this year for one of the biggest awards of the nights, Actor in a Leading Role for “127 Hours”. These two together should be super fun to watch.

The Oscars, like every other single thing in life, is all about the politics and who you know. Awards are often given for worthy merit, but awards are also often given for the wrong reasons and the Academy doesn’t always get it right (see: list of “make good” Oscars, when they get the nod after previously being passed over for other work). Many take the label, “Academy Award Winner” as bible, yet that doesn’t mean an artist that hasn’t won one of these gold men isn’t as equally talented. However, awards and titles are valuable to get ahead in the movie business and no title will get you further than “Academy Award Winner”.

It would impossibly boring to review every award, so let’s just go with the good ones:

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:
Javier Bardem in “Biutuful”
Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
Colin Firth in “The King’s Speech”
James Franco in “127 Hours”
The simple answer, it’s going to the Brit. There’s something about Americans just thinking that everything the British do is superior, and trust me it is easy to fall into that mentality, especially spending a semester abroad in London (see: UK Skins Vs. American Skins – it speaks volumes). Don’t get me wrong, I love Colin Firth and I thought he was great in “The King’s Speech”, but it is arguable if he out right deserves this award above all the rest. However, there is no argument that he will win.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
John Hawkes in “Winter’s Bone”
Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
Mark Ruffalo in “The Kid’s Are All Right”
Geoffrey Rush in “The King’s Speech”
The answers to who will win and who should win are both Christian Bale for his outstanding performance in “The Fighter”. Geoffrey Rush comes as a close second but Bale has got this under lock and key – by the way Bale is a Brit and Rush is an Austrailian playing a Brit. Jeremy Renner (“The Hurt Locker”) is kick-ass in “The Town”, which if you have not seen rent immediately especially to see all the different spots in Boston, but it is not definitive enough to win the whole enchilada. I can’t wait to see Christian Bale’s acceptance speech! He is absolutely adorable and so in love with his wife.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE:
Annette Bening in “The Kid’s Are All Right”
Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter’s Bone”
Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”
This is a tough category. All five of these women are superb actresses, even newcomer Jennifer Lawrence and Nicole Kidman, even though she has many haters among young fans. In my eyes, the three contenders here are Annette Bening (“American Beauty”), Natalie Portman (“Star Wars”) and Michelle Williams (“Shutter Island”; and from her younger days Dawson’s Creek). Bening is undeniably believable as a lesbian mother who is trying to get through the struggles of life with her two children and cheating wife. Portman and Williams have continued to establish their careers gracefully as young starlets in Hollywood. That being said, “Blue Valentine” is a completely innovative film that should receive as many accolades as possible, but it is difficult to watch the relationship between Williams and Ryan Gosling, her costar, disintegrate. However, “Black Swan”, its craziness and Portman have appealed more to the masses while still receiving praise from the critics. Portman will most likely be on stage accepting the Oscar, but it would be a wonderful to see Bening and/or Williams up there.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
Helena Bonham Carter in “The King’s Speech”
Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”
Another tough category because these women are all talented. Veteran actress, Helena Bonham Carter, another Brit who is impressive in “The King’s Speech”, doesn’t give her normal over the top performace to come out as number one. Jacki Weaver probably deserves the award, but her name does not carry the same star power as usual Oscar contenders. Hailee Steinfeld, only 14 years old, is so adorable and talented at such a young age, yet she is a long shot – but you never know. There has been much hype around this little girl and her surprising portrayal. It really comes down to the two ladies from “The Fighter”. Both give unbelievable performances. Both have been nominated before. Both have never won. Amy Adams is young, talented, and gorgeous – she will be around for a long time. Melissa Leo has been favored from the beginning, however a few weeks ago she released her own personal Ad promoting herself to win the Oscar, a job the studio usually takes up. There has been much controversy over this stunt, and some are saying it hurt her chances to win. Who could blame her really; she’s not getting any younger and this may be her last shot at taking Oscar home. However, Leo’s transformation for this role makes her almost unrecognizable while in character, so much so to overcome her recent PR disaster for her to win the gold.

DIRECTING:
Darren Aronofsky for “Black Swan”
David O. Rusell for “The Fighter”
Tom Hooper for “The King’s Speech”
David Fincher for “The Social Network”
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen for “True Grit”
These fellas aren’t on-screen talent, so I will keep it brief. David Fincher is walking away with this award. This veteran director is overdue for an Oscar and will most definitely win for his direction in “The Social Network”. Tom Hooper comes in as the dark horse, but I’m putting my money on Finch. By the way, last year James Cameron’s ex-wife, Kathryn Bigelow won for “The “Hurt Locker” beating out the almighty “Avatar” director; what a great way to stick it to your ex.

BEST PICTURE:
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King’s Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter’s Bone
The crème de la crème. The whole kit and caboodle. Best Picture. Since the Academy expanded the nominees from five to ten, the process of predicting can be harder or easier, depending if it was a crappy or impressive motion picture season. This year was impressive. Unfortunately for Leo (The Academy apparently hates him, which is very sad), “Inception” will most likely not win even though the story, concept and direction by Christopher Nolan (who was also snubbed) is uniquely original. “Black Swan”, again, a completely fresh film that stirred up the pot but it’s unlikely the Academy deems it worthy. The movie that should win is “Toy Story 3”, which would be so amazing to witness, especially as a ‘90s kid growing up with this franchise (I cried in the movie theaters whilst wearing 3-D glasses surrounded by 11-year-olds). Once again, it comes down to “The Social Network” and “The King’s Speech”. Both are spectacular films. And depending on who you talk to, both should win the Oscar. I truly loved “The King’s Speech”, it was witty, funny, inspiring but I am sick of England coming over here and stealing our accolades. It’s a great country and all, but let’s have a little national pride. “The Social Network”, especially for us college kids living in the Boston area, is the quintessential period piece representing everything of our time, not our parents’ generation, but us. Even though, I often cringe at Jesse Eisenberg’s awkwardness on and off screen (he has the same exact personality in real life as he does on film, unfortunately), I believe this should win. Andrew Garfield is brilliant and gorgeous (cough, he’s British, cough), he is becoming our next star super hero (“The Amazing Spider-Man” aka Spiderman 4; thank goodness because I am so over Tobey Maguire) and he will be in movies for many years to come. I will defend anything Justin Timberlake does till the day I collapse (Nsync fan for life), plus he did a pretty decent job showing off his acting chops. The director god David Fincher left his mark on the film. And lastly, scribe Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing; Sports Night) comes from the world of television, I’m a little biased, delivering for us a quick, smart and unforgettable script that truly carries throughout the entire film. In 20, 60, 120 years from now people will look back on this film as a turning point in history. It’s American. And not just because it’s about Facebook, however any of you barfing at the fact that Facebook hasn’t changed the way you live on the internet — you are in serious denial. Hats off to you, “The Social Network”, you are, most likely, this year’s numero uno. Not to mention, we, BU, are mentioned by name in one of the highest grossing films of the year, which will be sure to live on for decades to come.

I would like a disclaimer that there is a enormous chance I will be wrong in my predictions, so don’t hunt me down and kill me. I actually haven’t seen any of these films (jokes). To get a feel for what the rest of the campus is thinking, check out this video from BU. http://www.bu.edu/today/node/12338

Tune in Sunday February, 27th 8/7p on ABC for the broadcast. ABC has its own Red Carpet starting at 7/6p. But the better Red Carpet coverage with Seacrest and Guiliana runs on E!, usually two hours prior to the awards broadcast. ENJOY.

Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!