An Open Letter to the High School Friends I Hope to Keep Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dear High School Friends,

I miss you. I miss the Friday nights we always spent together no matter how busy the rest of our weeks were. I miss our rant sessions at lunch. I miss the laughing fits we’d share while driving around town at night. I miss seeing your faces almost every day of my life.

Thank you for making my memories of high school so positive. Of course, I still remember the stressful and emotional roller coaster that high school was, but I remember my biddies better.

It’s different now. Like Ryan and Kelsi sing in High School Musical 3, “High school wasn’t meant to last forever.” Almost all of you are a long drive away, off at your own colleges, adjusting to new lives. I hope you all are happy. You deserve to make more great friends, learn about your interests and endeavor endlessly into your passions. But keep me in the loop? I want to hear about it all! The ups… the downs… everything! I’m only a quick text, call, Snap, or video chat away.

Everyone says that high school friends don’t last and that college is where you make your lifelong friends. Despite that, I really hope we beat the odds. I don’t want to lose the amazing friendships we have. You girls understand me like family; we’re basically sisters. I can’t become estranged from my sisters – that would break my heart. I don’t know what I would do in life without my girls by my side.

Thank you. Thank you not just for the fond high school memories, but also for your infinite support. Since we’ve all arrived at college, you’ve continued to care about me. I live for our chats on Houseparty when I actually get to see your beautiful faces and we can all catch up on what’s happening in each other’s lives.

I can’t wait for what’s to come. I can’t wait to visit you all at school, watch you graduate, be a bridesmaid in your weddings, travel the world with you, and take part in everything that makes you happy. I know that’s all very hopeful but I believe that our friendship can last forever.  I really do. I’d be so lucky if it does.

Yours truly,

Ally

Cover by Dave DeMelia

Alexandra Kallfelz is a senior studying journalism at Boston University. Besides writing, Alexandra's passions include color guard, travel, Netflix, music, and Disney. She is a pure-blood New Englander and a dog fanatic.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.