An Open Letter to Britney Spears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dear Britney Spears,

I’d like to start this letter by wishing you a happy birthday!  The big 3-0. It seems like just yesterday you were a teenager taking over MTV with “Hit Me Baby One More Time.”

Anyways, I just had a few things I needed to get off my chest. 

Why do people, me included, like you so much, Britney?  Why do you inspire crazy dance moves? Why do television shows still sing your old hits?  And why do your fans squeal in unison “It’s Britney, bitch,” whenever they go see you in concert?

Well Britney, I think I may finally understand why your fans are die-hard and your impersonators seem to exponentially multiply every Halloween. We like you because you came from the South, and therefore immediately seem to be humble, friendly, and laidback. You could dance, and your voice was passable. In your early days, you were so innocent, even whilst suggestively dancing in a sports bra. 

And then all of a sudden, you were making out with girls, dancing provocatively while dripping with sweat, and rolling around your music videos essentially naked save a few strategically placed sections of rhinestone. Gone was the innocent popstar. In what seemed like no time at all, you were edgier, sexier, 

and much more mature.

And then again, in the blink of an eye, you seemed to lose all control. You shaved your head, got married and divorced twice, and were beating up cars with an umbrella.  Paparazzi stalked you mercilessly to capture your latest crazy antics and put you up for public scrutiny in tabloids across the world.  They said you had dropped your basket, and were never going to pick it back up. And I have to say that I believed them. I mean, how can one rise from something like that?

But you surprised us all.  You hit ultimate rock bottom, and you picked yourself back up. You have a stable relationship, two kids, and your legion of adoring fans. You cleaned up your act, and hopefully you’re now on a much happier and healthier path in life.

And we love you for it.  Maybe it’s because you are a woman who can make us feel like it’s okay to hit rock bottom, because sometimes that rude awakening is exactly what you need to become a better and stronger person. Everyone has their crazy moments, but it’s important to know that these moments don’t have to define us. The lesson you’ve taught us by example, Britney, is how to pick up the pieces of a shattered life and keep moving.  And you’re still hot and making great dance music, which are two not-so-shabby bonuses.

So happy birthday Britney Spears.  Thank you for being a shining example of the fact that just because we sometimes trip and fall from grace, doesn’t mean we can’t rise from the ashes better than ever.

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.