An Open Letter to the Boy Who Cheated on my Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When she came to me crying, she wasn’t crying because she missed you. She was crying because she missed the way you made her feel. She missed being told she was pretty, smart, and worth something. But make no mistake: she was not crying over you.

She didn’t miss the way you broke her heart, she didn’t miss the way you mistreated her, and she would have given anything to forget you.

She was the one who trusted you with her heart- her most prized possession and the one thing she guarded under lock and key. And what did you do? You took advantage and broke it- not caring what the consequences.

You were the cute guy with the dimples to die for and a smile that would make Colton Haynes jealous. She fell for you, and you knew. You knew, and you didn’t care.

There was probably a time you were in love with her- I won’t know, since I was only there to pick up the pieces when she fell apart while you enjoyed your tainted relationship.  

Who you do you think you are? If you aren’t happy in a relationship, leave. You have no right to make her feel the way she does. You don’t have to sit with her at night and console her, trying to convince her that she does have worth and that she isn’t the one with the problem: you are. She’s perfect- sweet, loving, and someone anyone would be lucky to be with. But not you. At this point, I’m not sure you deserve to handle someone else’s heart at all.

I know you thought she was perfect too at one point- you told her you loved her. I can’t pretend to know what you were thinking when you cheated on her, or when you didn’t tell her, or when you kept trying to weasel your way back into her life after she had finally picked up and moved on.

What I do know is that you don’t deserve whatever happiness you’ve found with that girl you cheated with. On the way to your happiness, you left in your wake the broken heart of one of the most genuine, loving, caring people I’ve had the fortune to meet.

Did it make you feel alive- having something to survive? Did it make you feel wanted- knowing that you could have two women if you wanted? Did it make you feel powerful- having the ability to break both hearts?

And what’s worse is that you don’t care. I’ve seen boys just like you- forget about her, forget about everything, just moving on with your own life and your own relationships. You came through her life like the perfect storm- exciting and fresh, then wrecking everything in your path and moving on without every looking back.

I refuse to feel sorry for you, or apologize to you, or have any sympathy for you. I don’t wish you well, and I don’t hope you find your happiness. 
Call me a bitch, call me vindictive, call me whatever you like. But you will never be able to call me the fool who fell for your tricks or the jerk who does what you do. I sincerely hope one day you find it in yourself to show remorse for being unfaithful, for breaking her heart, and being an overall jackass.

Have a nice life.

Quinn Rodriguez is a junior at Boston University in the School of Management. Coming from beautiful Los Angeles, she deals with the Boston Winters, but loves spring more. Serving as the PR Chair for her fraternity Delta Kappa Alpha is pretty much her favorite thing ever, right next to red lipstick and people watching. Check her out at: http://quinnrodriguezonline.wordpress.com 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.