The Nutrition Specialist: Julia Sementelli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s no mystery why Julia Sementelli (SAR ’12) is president of BU’s Nutrition Club. 
“I really, really, really love food,” she says, “Almost too much.”   

Nutrition Club’s goal is to promote healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle throughout the BU community, says Sementelli.  The club holds biweekly meetings which vary between topical discussions, Boston area excursions to restaurants and festivals, and—perhaps the most popular—cooking meetings. 

During cooking meetings, members have the opportunity to get together to make and eat a healthy meal while discussing “all things food,” says Sementelli. Past dishes have included savory vegetarian chili and tasty strawberry-rhubarb crisp.

Sementelli, who dreams of opening her own restaurant, got her start in the club as ‘cooking chair’. She was responsible for organizing recipes for cooking meetings and helping members to prepare and cook the food—and she was instantly hooked: “The position spoke to all the things that I love: food, cooking, and nutrition.” Now president, she believes Nutrition Club offers a valuable place to educate oneself in nutrition while meeting people who share a passion for food.   

“The world of nutrition can be confusing and overwhelming,” she says, “Everybody thinks that they are nutrition experts, even when they don’t have nearly enough credentials to give any sort of advice. And as a result, people have come to take unauthorized advice too seriously and end up eating too much or not enough.” 
For collegiettes looking to get informed on how to eat healthy, Nutrition Club is the place to go. Any interested student with any major can join. And make sure to sample a tasty, healthy treat while you’re at it!

“I see food as beautiful thing,” says Sementelli, “Something that was created to enjoy.”   

Interested in joining? E-mail secretary Megan McFadden at mmcfadd@bu.eduor check out the Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2200691443

Have a specific nutrition question or concern? E-mail Julia at juliasem@bu.eduto get in touch with someone who can help

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.