New Type of Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I strongly dislike Valentine’s Day (I’ve been told “hate” is a strong word). However, this has nothing to do with my current single status. I strongly dislike Valentine’s Day because I feel it is unnecessary. If you really love your valentine, you should tell them everyday, not save it up for a single day out of the year. Maybe I just listen to too much RENT, so the mantra “No day but today” is permanently engrained in my brain.

In lieu of love for Valentine’s Day, I propose making everyday an on-going Valentine’s Day. This doesn’t mean we should all expect roses everyday. However, we should take the time everyday, or at least once a week, to let the people around us know that we love them.

Here are some ideas to send a little bit of love to the people around you!

1. Send your friends from home a card. Not an e-card or a text message, but a physical card just letting them know you’re thinking about them. It will be a lovely thing for them to hang on their corkboard.

2. Buy your friend their favorite Starbucks drink for no reason. The smile on their face will be worth the four dollars.

3. Call your parents and have an actual conversation. Ask them how work and Great Aunt Mary are doing. It will shock them.

4. Write a little note on your whiteboard for your roommates to find when they come back to the room. A “Hey, hope you are having a good day!” can go a long way (rhyme intended.)

5. Buy a package of the old-school valentines that everyone gave out in kindergarten and give one to everyone on your floor. Or whoever. This can be done in April if you so choose.

6. Guys, if you want to randomly get your girlfriend flowers, she will be overjoyed. If want to randomly get her chocolate, call me.

7. Offer to watch your guy’s favorite show with them (minus the questions, do some research first). You may even like the show.

8. Celebrate the little things. My roommates and I celebrated each other’s half-birthdays because all of our birthdays are during the summer. It was an extra little pick-me-up in the middle of the semester!

As The Beatles said, “In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.” Think about it in reverse, the more love you put out, the more you get back! Have a Happy Valentine’s Day, but more importantly, but have a happy day! 

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."
Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.