nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Networking: All of the Results, None of the Awkward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I don’t know anyone who loves networking events. They’re the most awkward things in the world- someone just decided that throwing a bunch of people with common goals in the same room and expecting them to mingle was a good idea. Even the word networking is such an awkward word- it implies that you’re only talking to someone to see what they can get you. But it doesn’t always have to be like that, right? Right. Here are a few tips to make things slightly less awkward.

Go to the right events

Finding the events that are in a field you are interested in is always great. Even if you have nothing else to talk about, you can strike up a conversation about the industry or new technology you’ve heard of that may affect where your industry is going. It will also help you meet people who are genuinely able to offer guidance in your area on interest.

Have questions prepared

The hardest part of networking is the actual speaking part. Having questions prepared before you enter the room can help. Asking someone about their major, career path, or what they love and don’t about their job is a great starting point. If you meet someone who works for a company you’re interested in or has a position you might aspire to, asking about the culture of their workplace or what skills they recommend someone in their position is a great way to show interest.

Build a genuine connection

This is the second hardest part of networking. It feels like you’re just talking to people to see where they can get you. But building a genuine connection and showing that you care about them as a person as well as a professional can make things much less awkward. I usually start by talking about something other than a job- recognizing that there is more to them besides just their professional life can help you connect with them on another level. Knowing someone as a person and not just a professional will always be more genuine than asking them about their career and seeing what connections they have.

Follow up in a timely manner

This goes right along with building a genuine connection- having dinner or coffee with someone soon after you meet them is a great chance to show that you value their time and knowledge. Coffee is great if you’re both pressed for time (as so many of us are) but lunch is better to build a connection. Send a follow up handwritten note after you meet up, and just tell them that you appreciated them taking the time to meet you. Every few months afterwards, shoot them an email updating them on your life or send them an article you found online that reminded you of something they mentioned.
Bottom line: it’s a give and take. Make sure it feels that way.

They’re people too. They remember what it was like to be in college and afraid of the world. People are more than willing to help you- you just have to know how to ask. 

Quinn Rodriguez is a junior at Boston University in the School of Management. Coming from beautiful Los Angeles, she deals with the Boston Winters, but loves spring more. Serving as the PR Chair for her fraternity Delta Kappa Alpha is pretty much her favorite thing ever, right next to red lipstick and people watching. Check her out at: http://quinnrodriguezonline.wordpress.com