Netflix Has Been Popping Off Lately … Here Are Five Shows You Need to Watch ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ever since the launch of new streaming apps like Disney Plus and HBO Max, people have been worried about how Netflix will progress now that some of its major shows have been taken off the platform. For example, shows with major popularity on Netflix such as Friends is now exclusively available on HBO Max, coming in May. However, since the rise of these new streaming platforms, Netflix has churned out hit after hit. Whether they are Netflix originals or classic shows that everyone will love, Netflix is definitely still a top contender. Here are some of the best new shows on Netflix to watch right now.

You

Season two of You came out in December, and it’s all anyone has been able to talk about. Something about a (reformed?) serial killer who justifies his actions with love is just so mesmerizing to us, and it makes us question our true intentions sometimes. We thought season one was filled with crazy drama, but season two really stepped it up in gore, drama, and love. We see Joe Goldberg — now Will Bettelheim — chase after love with a girl literally named Love, and we see him slowly become crazier than he ever has before as his ex-girlfriend, Candace, tracks him down and swears revenge. And if you are a dedicated fan of Gossip Girl, you will also continuously speculate about Joe Goldberg’s potential relation to Dan Humphrey (the data has been crunched and it is, in fact, possible that they are the same person).

Spinning Out

Spinning Out is one of those shows that has it all — lots of drama, a stellar lead, cute boys, and most importantly, figure skating. The show follows Kat, an extremely talented competitive figure skater who recently injured herself and is trying to return to the competition world. She is surrounded by crazy family, other talented skaters, multiple love interests, and more. But there’s a catch — she has Bipolar Disorder, which causes everything in her life to become significantly harder. Watch the show to see all the unexpected twists and turns in Kat’s life as she skates towards the Olympics.

Cheer

Netflix’s latest docuseries, Cheer, is taking the world by storm. Following the lives of the members of Navarro College’s Cheer Team, this series exposes the dangers, struggles, and pure determination that competitive cheerleading entails. The show is so touching and impactful that several celebrities, including Kendall Jenner and Ben Platt, have reached out to the members of Navarro Cheer to say how much they admire them. This show has brought to light how intense the world of cheer is, and cheerleaders around the world are so grateful and admiring of the members on Navarro. Especially popular members of the team on the show, like Jerry Harris, Gabi Butler, and Lexi Brumback, have become social media influencers, gaining up to 1.4 million followers each. This docuseries is a must-watch for anyone interested in competitive sports.

Next in Fashion

Next in Fashion is Netflix’s first original reality fashion show. Very Project Runway-esque, the show has two famous hosts — Queer Eye’s Tan France and designer Alexa Chung — who give the starting 18 designers tasks each week to become the next best designer in fashion. But these designers are no ordinary designers — they have made looks for the best of the best, including Beyonce, Ariana Grande, and more high-status celebs. So you know that you are guaranteed to see some good, healthy competition amongst these designers as they compete to become the next big name in fashion.

The Circle

The Circle is a show like Netflix has never made before. It is a social media reality competition show, where contestants can either choose to be themselves in the game or to catfish their way through each week. Contestants are put through several different challenges and games each week, and then rank their fellow contestants for one to ultimately be blocked at the end of each episode (meaning they are sent home). Shocking visits, hidden identities, and developing love happens throughout the show, and we get to see the formation of friendships like no other. (P.S. Shooby will always be the best.)

These shows are Netflix’s latest and hottest hits—they are a must-see for anyone who wants a good binge-watch. So, sit back with a bowl of popcorn and get ready for a Netflix all-nighter!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! My name is Isabelle Durso, and I am a sophomore at Boston University studying Journalism and Film & TV at the College of Communication! I am so excited to be a part of this amazing, empowering community of young women.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.