This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Did you know that Adele’s 2008 smash hit, “Make You Feel My Love,” was a cover?

So are The Beatles’ rendition of “Twist and Shout,” “I Love Rock ‘N Roll” by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, and Aretha Franklin’s “Respect.”

Many of the most successful songs of all time have been covered. The best of the best tread the fine line between preserving the integrity of the original song and integrating the individual personality and flair of the performing artist’s style. Here are 10 covers – some well-known and some less-so – that do just that. 

“Suzanne” by Nina Simone (1969)

“Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river / You can hear the boats go by, you can spend the night beside her”

Originally written and recorded by Leonard Cohen for his 1967 album, Songs of Leonard Cohen, “Suzanne” has been covered by a variety of musicians, ranging from French singer Françoise Hardy to folk artist Judy Collins.

A classically trained pianist, Nina Simone’s twinkling piano arrangement is the star of the show. She transforms Cohen’s slow, drone-like original into an almost whimsical listening experience. 

“Inside and Out” by Feist (2004)

“I’m the girl / Who loves you inside and out / Backwards and forwards / With my heart hanging out”

The indie-pop artist Feist put her own spin on this song, which was written and recorded by the Bee Gees in 1979 as “Love You Inside Out,” for her album Let it Die.

Feist’s muted singing style, lack of three-part falsetto harmonies and cheesy disco instrumentation revamp dates to the original. Interesting production choices, such as the simulated record crackling layered into the introduction, add further innovation to the cover.

“Everyday” by Fiona Apple & Jon Brion (2011)

“Every day seems a little longer / Every way, love’s a little stronger”

This song was featured on a compilation album, entitled Rave On Buddy Holly, which included covers of Holly’s songs from unexpected performers including Julian Casablancas of The Strokes, CeeLo Green, and Modest Mouse.

Fiona Apple’s darker vocal tone and signature vibrato provide depth to the sweetly romantic lyrics typical of 1950s rock music, while the instrumental arrangement preserves the simplicity of Holly’s original.

“We Can Work It Out” By Stevie Wonder (1970)

“Try to see it my way / Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong”

Although Stevie Wonder began writing and singing his own compositions at the age of 11 and continued to do so throughout his career, his covers are equally as excellent as his original work.

Featuring energetic backing vocals and a signature harmonica solo, Wonder’s version of The Beatles’ 1965 single exemplifies the irresistible energy that characterizes his repertoire. 

“Life On Mars?” By Seu Jorge (2005)

“It’s a God-awful small affair / To the girl with the mousy hair

This cover, along with “Rebel Rebel,” “Suffragette City,” “Ziggy Stardust,” and others, were recorded by Seu Jorge for the soundtrack of Wes Anderson’s 2004 film, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou.

Hailing from Brazil, Jorge performs the song in his native Portuguese with only a single guitar to accompany his voice. This stands in stark contrast to Bowie’s original, almost-orchestral arrangement, allowing Jorge’s modern samba style to shine through.

“Lilac Wine” By Jeff Buckley (1994)

“Lilac wine is sweet and heady, like my love

“Lilac Wine,” originally written by James Shelton in 1950, provides pitch-perfect fodder for Jeff Buckley’s wide vocal range, signature rasp, and deeply emotional style.

Buckley also recorded what is probably the most famous cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” as well as his own renditions of tunes by the oft-covered Bob Dylan, such as “Mama You’ve Been On My Mind” and “Just Like A Woman.”

“Last Kiss” By Pearl Jam (1999)

“Oh, where oh where can my baby be? / The Lord took her away from me”

Like other songs on this list, the success of Pearl Jam’s “Last Kiss” lies in its unexpected combination of artist and song – its contrast between content and style.

Originally written and recorded by Wayne Cochran in 1961, the song’s lyrics detail a melodramatic tale of teen tragedy, told with Eddie Vedder’s signature rumbling growl. 

“Take Me to the River” By Talking Heads (1978)

“Take me to the river, drop me in the water / Push me in the river, dip me in the water”

Originally written and recorded by Al Green in 1974, this rendition is one of the Talking Heads’ rare covers.

A strong bass line paired with lead singer David Byrne’s hypnotically unique voice perfectly integrates the song into the rest of the band’s original repertoire. The more up-tempo live version performed in the 1984 concert film Stop Making Sense, featuring soul-inspired backing vocals, might be even better.

“One” By Aimee Mann (1999)

“One is the loneliest number that you’ll ever do”

Aimee Mann’s rendition of Harry Nilsson’s 1968 song was first featured in the 1999 film Magnolia and served as the opening song for the movie’s well-received soundtrack.

“One” was originally made popular by the rock band Three Dog Night, whose version, while more energetic, obscures the song’s inherent sadness. In contrast, Mann’s stripped-down and melancholy vocals emphasize the somber nature of Nilsson’s simple but biting lyrics.

“Cupid” By Amy Winehouse (2006)

“Cupid draw back your bow / And let your arrow flow / Straight to my lover’s heart for me”

A legendary vocal powerhouse with influences that included Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, and Sarah Vaughan, Amy Winehouse released many versions of classic jazz standards and timeless ballads.

Winehouse’s cover of “Cupid,” which Sam Cooke wrote and recorded in 1961, incorporates reggae-inspired beats and a joyful horn arrangement. The cover provides a contrast to the often tragic songs Winehouse penned herself.

What is your favorite cover?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Ruby Voge is a member of the writing team at Her Campus BU. This is her first semester with HCBU. She is a junior transfer student originally from Princeton, NJ, majoring in journalism. Her favorite topics to cover are movies, music, history, and everything else pop culture! Ruby transferred from American University after her freshman year, where she started out as a sociology major. Outside of HerCampus, Ruby is a features writer for the Daily Free Press, an entertainment writer for WTBU news, a music writer for The BU Buzz, and a DJ in Training for the WTBU show 2Reel. In her free time, Ruby loves baking, collecting Joni Mitchell records, writing reviews on Letterboxd, and the New York Times mini crossword. She is an expert on espresso drinks, Hugh Grant rom-coms, and buying more books than she has time to read. Her favorite spots in the BU area are Clear Flour bakery in Brookline and the Coolidge Corner Theatre.