Style

My Experience Getting a 2nd & 3rd Ear Piercing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The whole idea of getting more ear piercings was quite spontaneous. Having very conservative parents meant that anything piercing and tattoo related always started with “it will ruin your life.” But this weekend my mom happened to be staying in NYC longer than expected, and I, having not seen her in couple of months, missed her terribly! I decided to get into an Uber and drive from my dorm at Boston University to my home at NYC. There, when we were having lunch, I wanted to do something memorable together, something that we could look back on and say “Hey, remember that time…” As I get older, I’ve started to value memories more and more. I understand that when you are far apart from a loved one, memories can help us with that loss.

So, I proposed that idea to my mom and she surprisingly said yes. We went to a piercing shop, Studio 28; I highly recommend this place! The environment is clean, the piercers are professional, and their earring selection is great.

Here’s a look at what the actual procedure looks like:

1. You pick out the earring you want and sign the contract. While they sterilize the piercing, one of the piercers goes over the aftercare with you.

2. Then, when the piercer is ready you get called into the room and sit down on a chair. The piercer draws little marks with a pen to double check if that’s where you want the piercings to be. Here, my mom helped me a lot. As indecisive as I am, my mom helped me with the locations. I got 2 upper lobe piercings. 

3. Then they clean your ears and pierce with a needle. DO NOT pierce anything with a gun! Studio 28 is an anti-gun piercing salon, as they told me a gun can puncture the cartilage of the ear and break it. A needle might sound scarier, but it’s actually faster. The piercer did a great job! It was super fast and she talked during the whole procedure as to what she was doing, while asking me if I was ok three or four times.

4. Then, it was over! I said thank you a thousand times and took pictures with my mom to capture the memories.

A VERY IMPORTANT step in any piercing process is the cleaning. I haven’t felt any extreme pain, like the piercer said I might feel when I’m sleeping, but the morning after I woke up and did see a bit of dried blood on my piercings. That is completely normal! I immediately cleaned it and everything was fine. With any piercings, listen very carefully to the cleaning procedure as it will determine if your piercing will heal or not!

I can’t say my mom was too happy with my piercings, because when the piercer asked her if she liked them, she just laughed because she didn’t want to say anything mean or bad. The main reason behind my mom’s dislike of piercing and tattoos was that she believed anyone with piercings cannot be smart or successful. After I got into BU, I think she lessened her position on that thought. One day I plan on becoming successful to completely disprove my mom’s theory on piercings.

This is how my piercings turned out. I love them!

I hope I was able to show you that piercings are not that scary. But, always consider pros and cons of every decision you make, especially if it’s something permanent on your body. Some piercings have stronger visual effects than others. If your dream job is to work at a top bank, getting an eyebrow piercing might not be a smart choice.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.