Monday Music Notes: Drake Does It Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The much-anticipated release of Drake’s new album, Nothing Was The Same, has finally come and the wait was more than worth it. This album is perfection, but could we expect anything less from Drizzy Drake? I must admit, I’m biased due to my massive crush on the rapper, but regardless I think this album is a must-have for fall. Play it at parties, hanging out with friends, working out, walking to class…its vibe is perfect for any occasion! These tracks are honest, heartfelt and exactly what any woman would want to hear from a man. It’s no surprise that Drake is more emotional than most rappers/hip-hop artists these days, and it’s his honesty that makes his music so appealing to me.

You probably already know “Started From The Bottom” and “Hold On We’re Going Home,” the two popular singles from Nothing Was The Same. Although I do love both of these songs, this album has many others like it that are worth listening to. My favorite tracks on the album include Drake’s newest single, “Wu-Tang Forever,” which is rumored to be about Rihanna; the upbeat track, “Worst Behavior”; and the more emotional track, “From Time,” featuring the rising star, Jhené Aiko who has worked with artists such as J. Cole and Childish Gambino. However, I must admit that “Hold On, We’re Going Home” has to be my overall favorite song from the album. I love Drake’s smooth singing voice and the song’s funky R&B beat is super catchy. 

Surprisingly, “Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music 2” featuring Jay Z is somewhat disappointing. Anything Jay Z puts his name on is usually a hit, but this track is far from my favorite on the album. On the whole, Nothing Was The Same is a hit deserving of two thumbs up, five stars and constant repeat on my iTunes. I highly recommend you get a copy asap so you can witness Drake’s progression as a talented hip-hop/rap/R&B artist for yourself.

New Music This Week:

• Justin Timberlake- “TKO”
  • Britney Spears- “Work Bitch”
  • Justin Bieber- “Wait For A Minute”
  • Maejor Ali ft. Juicy J & Justin Bieber- “Lolly”
  • Naya Rivera ft. Big Sean- “Sorry”
  • Katy Perry ft. Juicy J- “Dark Horse”
  • One Direction- “Diana”
HCBU Director of Public Relations/Writer
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.