kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Menstrual Cups: What Are They and Why Should I Use One?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Some of you may have vaguely heard about this less common feminine hygiene product: menstrual cups. If not, you might be curious to learn about what they are why some people have given up pads and tampons in favor of a menstrual cup. To start, it is a small, flexible cup, usually made from silicone or latex. Unlike pads and tampons, which absorb your flow, menstrual cups store it until you are ready to take it out. In order to use one, you must tightly fold it in half and insert it like a tampon. The cup should then open when inserted. Used correctly, you should not be able to feel it at all. While this may sound just like using a tampon, there are many reasons why you might prefer using a menstrual cup over any other menstrual product. 

1. Menstrual cups are better for the environment.

Credit: Going Zero Waste

Unlike pads or tampons, menstrual cups are reusable. To reuse it, all you have to do it take it out, empty it, wash it with soap and water and replace. At the end of your period, you can even boil it in hot water to ensure that it’s clean for use next month. 

2. Menstrual cups help you save money.

Credit: Nickel

Since most cups are reusable, you don’t have to constantly spend money repurchasing pads and tampons. Menstrual cups cost anywhere from $20 to $50 and are good for months, possibly years. If you were to buy pads and tampons, it would cost you about $120 a year. Just by switching over to menstrual cups, you could save a ton of money.

3. Menstrual cups can stay put for up to 12 hours.

Credit: Reusable Menstrual Cup

You won’t have to constantly worry about having to go to the bathroom to change 7 times a day. You can keep a menstrual cup in for up to 12 hours! This means that it’s suitable for overnight wear, unlike tampons which need to be changed every 4 to 8 hours.

4. You can have sex.

Credit: The Green Vagina

While this is an entirely personal choice, you are able to have sex with a menstrual cup still inserted. No need to worry about making a mess.

5. It’s safer (No risk of TSS).

Credit: Essential Kids

Since menstrual cups collect blood instead of absorbing it, they carry a lower risk of toxic shock syndrome than tampons. This makes them a healthier choice too! 

While menstrual cups may not be the most popular feminine hygiene product,  they are definitely one that you should consider switching to. They offer a way to be more sustainable, save you money, and many other benefits that tampons and pads cannot give you.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Leanna, originally from New York City, is a student at Boston University.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.