Maura’s Monthly Book Review: Take a Hint, Dani Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Talia Hibbert is quickly turning into one of my favorite authors of all time. I have previously loved and reviewed the first novel in this series, Get a Life, Chloe Brown, so I figured I needed to come back to review this equally heartwarming sequel. I had some pretty high expectations after how much I loved the first one, but trust me this lived up to it and so much more. I think I’m going to need to tackle all of Talia Hibbert’s backlist because if I enjoy those books even half the amount that I have enjoyed this series so far, then it’ll be totally worth it.

Tim Wildsmith
This story follows Chloe’s sister Dani, who is a Ph.D. student that has completely sworn off relationships after hearing too many times that she is too cold and too focused on her work. All of that changes when the grumpy security guard Zaf has to rescue her in an elevator and her life gets turned upside down after going viral on Twitter. The two of them decide that in order to keep up appearances they must fake date, but one thing leads to another and now they’re not so sure if they should be faking it. 

Hibbert has a talent for writing diverse and snarky female heroines, which made me love Dani as our lead. She was quirky and sarcastic, but not in an “I’m not like other girls” type of way. She is unique and secure in her own life, which I appreciate because I always love seeing women who care so much about their work in books. From the lives of the Ph.D. students I know, this seems to be a pretty accurate representation of their hectic lives. She was quite hesitant to let Zaf in, which is understandable given her past and her passion for her work. Dani’s reluctance towards relationships did last quite a while throughout this book, which at times made the pacing feel slower than I’d like because the relationship was not always progressing. However, I feel like this is a realistic depiction of the struggle a woman who has always been so career-oriented goes through.

woman in front of a computer
Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels
I don’t even know where to begin with my love for Zaf. I think I will never get sick of the trope where men read romance novels, so I was a sucker for him from the start. I especially loved that aspect because Zaf does not seem like a person who would enjoy romance books, but it tackles the societal norm that it is not masculine to enjoy romantic things. Zaf is also an ex-rugby player that has made it his life goal to destigmatize mental illness by creating a charity that helps young, male athletes explore their feelings and get help when needed. This book handles anxiety representation with extreme care and from my own personal experience, it truly captures what a panic attack is like. This representation is handled with such care and I loved how the author tackled toxic masculinity especially with how it relates to anxiety

This book balances more complex topics along with the romance in one of the most eloquent ways I have ever seen. Overall, this was just a joy. I still think I like Get a Life, Chloe Brown more, but this is a very, very close second.

If you have not picked up this series yet, I highly recommend it! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hello, I'm Maura! I'm a pre-med junior at Boston University who obsessively reads romance books and watches The Bachelor. Somehow, I turned my her campus articles into my own personal book blog, so I hope you enjoy the bookish content! Let's be friends on goodreads! https://www.goodreads.com/mauradelaney
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.