Long Distance Relationship Dos and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

At some point during your collegiette career you will find yourself in a long distance relationship; whether you have been dating your significant other since high school or must part for summer break. Your relationship with your S.O. might be the easiest thing in the world, yet long distance makes things all that much harder. No one enjoys long distance. Here are some dos and don’ts to make your long distance relationship less of a burden, and more of an enjoyable experience.

1. Do have an end date in sight. Knowing when you’ll be reunited with your S.O. makes the passing time go by much faster. Plan to visit each other in the meantime and make the most of the moments you have together. The cheesiest of quotes-“Absence makes the heart grow fonder”-certainly applies here.

2. Don’t lose touch. Communication is key in any relationship, especially when distance is involved. Whatever your method may be, keep communication lines open with your S.O. Be honest with each other and keep each other up to date. Despite the distance, don’t be afraid to take some space once in a while too.

3. Do put forth the effort. Long distance is not easy. It takes time to figure out what works best for your relationship; this requires effort from both you and your S.O. You both have to be willing to compromise and work together on any hurdles that potentially could come between you.

4. Don’t let the distance get in the way. At times you will feel extremely frustrated with the distance and want to throw it all away. During times like these, you need to remind yourself that the distance doesn’t define your relationship. The distance is only temporary. You and your S.O. will be reunited before you know it.

5. Do support each other. You and your S.O. are in this relationship together. You will get through the burden of long distance as long as you are there for each other. With each other’s support, your relationship will be undefeatable by long distance. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.