This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

So many lessons for so many seasons. Let’s face it, we’ve all been a Rory and we’ve all needed a Lorelai at some point in our lives. And I’ve grown to not only love but also admire these two characters since I was about twelve years old.

Not only do Rory and Lorelai remind me so much of my mom and me, but they have also taught me a number of lessons that I apply to my day-to-day life. And even though most of the time I don’t realize I’m pulling a Rory or Lorelai Gilmore, chances are I am, and most likely, you are too. 

1. Coffee solves all problems.

College students, we all know what this is like. Whether it’s coffee, an energy drink, or a smoothie, we all have that one drink in the morning that gets us through the day. Or, just puts us in a better mood.

Regardless of whether or not you’re having a good or a bad day, this drink never fails you. And especially with busy schedules packed with exams, essays, club activities, sports, and a social life, our days tend to be pretty messy. So, basically, one of the few consistencies you have in college is your go-to espresso.  

2. Humor, especially sarcasm, is essential in every conversation.

This is honestly the key to any conversation with any person. I mean seriously, it works every time. Awkward encounter? Make the other person laugh. Uncomfortable situation? Crack a joke. Even if the conversation seems like it’s reached a dead end, just say something sarcastic and I’m sure you’ll feel more at ease.

And sometimes, your sarcasm will be so good, people won’t be able to tell if you’re being serious or hilarious. Either way, you know the conversation just got so much better!

3. You’re capable of achieving anything you set your mind to.

Rory transferred to a different high school her sophomore year. She ended up at Chilton, a preparatory school known for its rigorous academics. Even though she was the star student at Stars Hollow High, many people, including herself, doubted her capabilities of not only meeting but also exceeding the expectations needed to succeed at Chilton and get into the Ivy League. Despite these doubts, though, she ended up accepting her high school diploma as the valedictorian. She even beat Paris Geller as she was admitted into Harvard!

4. Everyone could use a wallow session every once in a while.

After their many breakups, the Gilmore Girls knew the right way to get through it – with each other, a stack of old movies, and a lot of food. For a certain period of time, especially during a wallow session, ice cream is an essential food group to any diet.

Lorelai taught Rory that wallowing is not only a good thing, but it’s necessary and a part of the process. Never forget to give yourself the time you need to recover or soak it all in. And this doesn’t just apply to breakups, but life as a whole – it throws a lot at you, and all you need to be is prepared.

5. Life isn’t an agenda.

So, Rory didn’t plan on attending Yale. And Lorelai definitely didn’t plan on being a mom at 16. But in the end, life took a turn on both of them. What’s to learn from this, though, is that both situations ended up turning out for the best.

Going to Harvard might’ve been her dream, but Yale showed her a different side of the academic and professional world. Being a mom when she was ready might’ve sounded ideal, but looking back, would she have gained the same best friend after all?

Thank you, Lorelai and Rory, for teaching us all that you don’t have to live in Stars Hollow to be like and live by the rules of a Gilmore Girl.

Hello everyone! My name is Athena Abdien and I am sophomore writing for HerCampus at Boston University studying political science. I love the city of Boston and all that it has to offer, and I thoroughly enjoy using the accessible resources surrounding me day-by-day that benefit not only my skills as an academic, but also as a professional seeking a career conjoining politics, the general humanities, and journalism.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.