Let’s Talk about Post-Study-Abroad Gloom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For many students, studying abroad is a highlight of the college experience. You grow close to new friends over shared experiences, country-hop on the weekends, and explore new cultures and ways of life. Life feels unreal in the best way possible — like when you have dinner in front of the Eiffel Tower, ride a gondola in Venice, or dance until sunrise in Barcelona. But studying abroad is not just about your time abroad, but also the moments right before and after. Let’s talk about post-abroad gloom.

When we first landed in Europe, the program manager reminded us to make the best of our experience abroad, as it “goes by in the blink of an eye.” I reassured myself that I had four and a half months left, but I am here to tell you that before you know it, you will be packing for your trip back home. Returning home is not something you can really prepare for, as it quickly creeps up on you. I don’t think you even should prepare for it; rather, you should fully enjoy the last weeks of your program, as they will be some of the most memorable. For our last trip together, my friends and I went to Athens. Not only was Greece a personal favorite, but this trip was extra meaningful because we got to reflect and reminisce on all that we had experienced together. It was the closure we needed, and it made the process of leaving easier.

After my program, the first few days back in Boston were not as bad as I expected. I was happy to see friends and family after a while, and it was comforting to be able to speak the common language and quickly assimilate. These initial comforts were, however, short-lived. I quickly found myself reminiscing about my European lifestyle.

Returning from a trip is one thing, but returning from living abroad is another. You established a real home in your host country by assimilating into a new culture, finding a community, and practicing your daily routines. Feeling homesick for your study abroad city, I’ve realized, is completely normal and common.

Returning to a normal college semester is another obstacle to overcome. While abroad, you don’t really stress over the “study” part of “study abroad.” Sure, I felt stressed during exam weeks, but studying over French desserts at a cute Swiss café made it exponentially more enjoyable. Readjusting to your normal set of classes and finding your rhythm again can feel like a learning curve. I would define the post-abroad gloom as the low spirits one naturally feels after an abroad experience, such as missing your home, friends, or routine. These can all culminate into a general gloom as you readjust back to reality.

As someone who recently experienced the post-board gloom, I have three tips to help you overcome yours:

• First, spend time with the people you missed when you were abroad. This reminds you of the community that you have at home — that some of your favorite people were just waiting for you to be back.
  • Second, stay connected to the friends you made abroad. Organize reunions, keep the group chat active, and reminisce about the stories you created together — ones you’ll treasure for the rest of your life. In fact, one of my best friends from abroad and I are now college roommates, and this has made the transition much easier.
  • Third, transform your gloom into gratitude for the experience you were able to have. However common it may be now in colleges across the country, being able to study abroad is still a huge privilege. When are you going to be 20 again, hopping from county to country with your friends? Take time to truly appreciate the opportunities you had, the people you met, and the memories you made.

Studying abroad is a euphoric experience often followed by post-abroad gloom. This gloom is completely normal and common, and you can overcome it by maintaining the friendships you made and feeling gratitude for the once-in-a-lifetime experiences you shared together.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Wish Pandey is a senior at Boston University studying International Relations and Entrepreneurship. In her free time, Wish loves to read, travel, and attend concerts!