Leave It To Him: Just Do You – A Bounceback How-To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ladies, as midterms quickly approach and you round that last corner before spring break, take a brief pause. Close the books for a few minutes and devote a little bit of time towards studying yourselves. I’ve been doing this a lot lately, and, picking up where my last entry left off, it’s exactly what I’ve needed after my recent break up.
After another brief visit to Student Health Services due to a strep-scare, I was left with no more encouraging words of wisdom to follow, and have instead turned to following some of my own. Since we are dealing with relationships here, let’s narrow our focus a bit. Being single once more allowed for an extended period of much-needed introspection. I’m sure there are far too many of you who have, at one point or another, been placed in similar scenarios…perhaps with a little less illness of the throat, but you catch my drift.
Nobody likes being dumped. What tends to vary is how we handle ourselves afterwards. Some of you may have preconceived notions of how men handle being dumped, and so I’ll just lay it out for you. It still sucks for us. Yes, just as much. We, too, go through the inevitable process of a fourteen-night ice-cream binges and discover a frightening newfound joy in folding laundry while listening to our high school playlists. Ok, so maybe we don’t all handle things that way, but my point is that you start to rediscover the joy in things you may have lost focus in, or picking up some new interests along the way. It won’t happen overnight, that’s also a given. You’re still going to have those days where you wake up only to catch yourself still staring at the ceiling ten minutes later not wanting to move an inch.
There’s the key though. Move an inch. Move a few feet. Get out of bed and back out into the world because while you’re sitting inside missing them, the world is sitting outside missing you. Getting back into your old routine can be a great step, and so can shaking it up a little. You’ve been debating whether or not to snag that sale item you passed in the window last week? Go buy it. So you’ve wanted to change your hair color for a while? There’s a whole isle at CVS waiting for you. I will caution you though, sometimes drastic changes aren’t the best of choices…especially if you’re thinking of going from brunette to auburn.
The point here is if you think a little switch-a-roo will give you the extra nudge you need to hit the ground running again, then by all means switch-a-roo-away! After a while, once the dust has settled you will start to feel normal again. Yes, really. Surprise! And when that happens, you deserve so much more than the obligatory pat on the back. You deserve a break from your problem sets and a seat at Pinkberry with last week’s Us Weekly. Congratulations, welcome back into the world. Welcome back into your world. So now that you’re back, it’s time to start from scratch right? Page one? Get back on the prowl? Erm…no. Forget page one for now. In fact, place the book aside for a bit and just keep enjoying your froyo and tabloid gossip. Perhaps next week we’ll delve a bit into the rebound process… perhaps.

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.