I’ve Read Daisy Jones & The Six Four Times—Here’s Why I’m Obsessed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ever since I read Daisy Jones & The Six back in July for the first time, I have been telling—begging really—everyone I know to read this amazing book by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I’ve briefly talked about this novel in basically every article I’ve written about books because when I need a pick-me-up, I always go to this book. With so much love in my heart for this one piece of work, this is my first attempt to articulate my feelings on the fabulous Daisy Jones & The Six.

A post shared by Reese’s Book Club (@reesesbookclub) on

This novel depicts the rise and eventual fall of the 1970s fictional rock band, Daisy Jones & The Six. Taylor Jenkins Reid has an affinity for writing complex and realistic characters. Each and every one of these characters feels like they truly could have existed—in fact, I struggled to believe that these characters didn’t exist when I was first reading it.

I’m a sucker for a nontraditional format and this book takes the cake for my favorite unique layout. It is told in an interview format with overlapping timelines, which adds layers and depth to the characters that is not typically found in a traditional format. This style also makes the novel very conducive to an audio version; the audiobook is told by a full-cast narration, and it is probably my favorite way to take in this story.

A post shared by khin (@yuzureads) on

The female characters very much stand out in this novel. Each of the three main female characters was unique and badass in their own way. This novel shows that a strong female character can come in many forms and have varying motivations. For example, there are some very career-focused female characters, as well as some very family-focused characters. Yet, this novel does an amazing job of demonstrating the validity of both of these conflicting interests.

This book deals with the juxtaposition of love and passion and how these two concepts can overlap and exist at the same time. Each relationship within the novel, platonic or otherwise, is incredibly dynamic. Each character is flawed in the most realistic ways possible and I’ve honestly never read a book that has felt more real.

This novel just gets better each time I read it. Without spoiling it, around 80 percent of the way through the book, Taylor Jenkins Reid writes something that changes how you see so many of the characters. It is an entirely different experience upon reading it the second time and it will always be beautiful.

I probably won’t ever stop talking and writing about this book, so you should probably just read it. I promise you won’t regret it.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook​, follow us on I​nstagram,​ check out our ​Pinterest​ board, and read our latest Tweets​!

Hello, I'm Maura! I'm a pre-med junior at Boston University who obsessively reads romance books and watches The Bachelor. Somehow, I turned my her campus articles into my own personal book blog, so I hope you enjoy the bookish content! Let's be friends on goodreads! https://www.goodreads.com/mauradelaney
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.