Style > Beauty

I Tried 5 of Glossier’s Most Popular Products—Worth the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As someone who doesn’t wear makeup regularly, I decided to try some of Glossier’s products for myself after hearing great reviews. The company itself has an appeal that emphasizes the “natural look” and focuses on skincare in addition to makeup, so I figured it would be something right up my alley. I tried five of their most popular makeup products to see what all the hype was about, and here’s what I thought.

Balm Dotcom

Marketed on the website as “a hydrating lip balm packed with antioxidants and natural emollients to nourish dry, chafed skin,” this product does exactly that! I honestly always try to have it on me and have resorted to using it as my main source of lip balm. I use the flavor “Cherry,” but there are also seven more flavors to choose from. I like that the Cherry also has a bit of a red tint to it, so in addition to healing chapped lips it makes you look like you effortlessly applied some makeup. However if you don’t want any tint, “Mint” and “Coconut” go on clear!

Rating: 5/5 stars

Stretch Concealer

On the website, this product is described as “a buildable concealer that covers everything from dark circles to blemishes and redness, with a dewy, glowy finish.” Since I don’t wear makeup too often, I find this item perfect for quickly blending over any red spots or blemishes on my face as well as under my eyes. Of course, it all depends on getting the right shade for you by choosing from the 12 options listed. But once you do get the right shade, I would say it blends fairly well and isn’t too noticeable. I just use my fingers and don’t incorporate anything else, but by using a brush and adding foundation, the outcome would probably be even better.

Rating: 5/5 stars

Boy Brow

Probably one of Glossier’s most notable items, the website describes it as “a brushable, creamy wax that visibly thickens, shapes, and grooms brows into place.” This is one of the few items, in addition to the concealer and lip balm, that I wear on a daily basis. It really helps define my brows and control any stray hairs. As someone with already fairly thick eyebrows, I haven’t noticed any more “thickening” like the description states. I use the shade “Brown” because my eyebrows are a dark brown color, and even when I run it through multiple times, it doesn’t seem to add any extra color to them or fill them in as is shown in the photos. However this might just be because my eyebrows are already so dark and thick that it doesn’t show up as well, or I might need to try a darker shade. Either way, I still find it helpful in giving my face a more defined look by cleaning up my eyebrows and holding them in place throughout the day.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Lip Gloss

According to the website, this is “a comfortable, long-wearing lip gloss with a glassy finish.” I love the way that it looks once applied, because you can make it look more or less natural with the amount that you add. Even a little goes a long way, but it really does help pull a makeup look together and make your lips look soft and shiny. My only gripe with it is that my hair does get stuck in it quite often, which might be unavoidable when it comes to lip gloss in general. In addition, it comes off pretty quickly after I put it on. I don’t think it’s entirely worth the price you’re getting it for, but nonetheless, it does what it’s meant to do. 

Rating: 4/5 stars

Lidstar

The website describes this as a “soft, glistening eye color that lasts all day.” It’s true! It really does last all day long. You can wear this blended with other eyeshadow, but I wear it alone and it creates the illusion that you spent some time doing your makeup! Some of the six shades are more sparkly than others, but so far I’ve tried both “Fawn” and “Cub” (my personal favorite). If you need something to apply quickly or on-the-go, I really recommend this! It’s one of my go-to makeup products.

Rating: 5/5 stars

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with Glossier’s selection of makeup, and would definitely recommend trying out some of their products!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Originally from CT, Emily is a junior at Boston University studying Film and Television with a minor in Psychology. Her hobbies include drinking too many vanilla lattes, reading, writing, and watching movies.