How to Survive the Housing Lottery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether you’ve gone through the process before or it’s your first time, the housing lottery is easily one of the most stressful parts of the school year.  Some people are lucky enough to get pulled into Stu Vi after freshman year and are set for the rest of their time at BU. But if you’re like me and get forced into the lottery every year, here are some must-know steps about getting through the process as painlessly as possible and finding the best room you can.

Think Realistically—Sure, we all want an apartment-style suite in Stu Vi, but that’s almost as unrealistic as going on a date with Ryan Gosling (although we can dream). If you’re a sophomore who wants to live with four of your friends, you’re probably not going to get the nicest room on campus with a view of the entire Boston skyline. When juggling options about where you want to live, make sure you think realistically. A freshman number most likely won’t get you into 1019 if hundreds of other juniors want the same room. A triple on brownstone on Bay State might be more realistic. Remember there are thousands of other students on campus who want the same exact room you do and their lottery number might be better. Stay hopeful, but don’t aim for the unrealistic.

Have a Back-Up Plan—Although you think you’ve got it all figured it out, there’s no way of telling what will actually happen when you walk into your housing appointment. Last year I was planning on living with four other friends. We wanted a suite in Shelton; no ifs, ands, or buts. Before we even sat down, the advisor told us we had to split up into two groups. We looked like deer caught in headlights; who was supposed to be kicked out of the group? It’s important to discuss alternatives in case the first option doesn’t work out. Make sure you know who would go into each room if splitting up is the only option. It’s cliché, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Ask Questions—Don’t be afraid to ask the advisor a hundred questions during your housing appointment. Who cares if he or she seems annoyed; it’s what they’re there for. If you can’t get the room you want, ask what the next best possible option is. Have him or her check every single dorm building on campus if it means you may find what you’re looking for. Sometimes advisors forget about options that are available to you.

Whatever Happens—No matter where you end up, make sure that you’re sure you chose the right person as your roommate. Choosing who you want to live with for the next year shouldn’t be a thoughtless decision. Sure, you want to live with your best friend because who wouldn’t? Before you sign the housing agreement, make sure you would be compatible roommates. Are you both clean freaks and have relatively the same sleeping schedule? Make a list of all things you look for in a roommate and if she checks out, you’ve found the perfect roomie!

Public Relations major at Boston University. Lover of laughter, random dance parties, and all things Friends. 
Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."