Life > Experiences

How to Stay Connected with Friends Across the Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When you have friends who live really far from you, it can be hard to keep in touch and stay close. Some of my best friends live across the country because of school, so I understand the struggle. Here are a few ways to feel more connected to the people you love.

FaceTimes or Zoom Calls

Texts are great, but there’s nothing like face-to-face (or screen-to-screen) communication. It can definitely be hard to schedule times for these to work, especially with bigger groups of people, but even FaceTiming your friends for a couple of minutes can make you feel like you’re a part of their lives, and vice-versa.

Snapchat Streaks

The beauty of this one is that it requires you to make contact with each other every day in order to keep the streak alive. Even if it’s just a quick photo of the side of your face or your messy bedroom, I think it counts for something.

Have A Shared Activity

I would recommend starting a book club with your friends or beginning to watch the same TV show. That way, you can each do your thing on your own time and report back to each other. You can discuss the best scenes, WTF moments, favorite characters, or whatever you want! It’s always nice to have someone to talk to about things that you’re interested in.

Let Them Know When You’re Thinking of Them

If you see something that reminds you of your friend, let them know! I don’t know about you, but when someone tells me that they heard a song or something that reminded them of me, it makes my day.

Communication can be hard. It’s important to remember that people get busy with school and life, but it’s also important to try to make time for your loved ones. I hope that these tips help you feel closer to your friends!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi! I'm Martha, and I'm a psychology major from New Jersey. I love reading, writing, listening to music, eating ice cream, and meeting new people!