How to Spend your Spring Break When You’re Stuck at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Going home for spring break can be great, but it can also be a time where FOMO hits and the shock of being back under your parents’ roof becomes exhausting. If you are like me and back in your hometown for the week, not necessarily sure what to do, here is a list of some fun and productive ways to spend your week off! 

Pick up a shift at your old job.

It’s always good to make a little extra money on your time off, and picking up a shift at your old digs is the perfect way to do that. Plus, it keeps you productive during a time where it is extremely easy to fall into a rut of watching Netflix and sleeping all day.

Reach out to people you haven’t seen in a while.

Reaching out to people you haven’t talked to in a while, whether it be an old coworker, friend, or teacher, is a great way to feed your soul and remind yourself of the positives of being home.

Work on a new passion project.

Being stuck at home for spring break, especially when your high school friends aren’t there, can feel very isolating, so try using this downtime to refocus on something you are interested in as a way to combat the spring break blues.

Whether it be starting an art project, writing a script you’ve always talked about, or something outside of the arts altogether, allowing yourself time to pursue something you are passionate about is very important for your mental health and sense of self. 

Use this time as an opportunity to rebuild your confidence and do some self-care.

College can be a time of immense growth and joy, but it is also a time where it becomes very easy to fall into the cycle of comparison and self-doubt. Sometimes going home for spring break instead of a beach vacation with friends can be a blessing in disguise, because it allows you to do some self-reflection and care before going back to school. Being home around the people who know you and love you unconditionally is a wonderful reminder to appreciate yourself and is very helpful in rebuilding your confidence.

Go shopping.

My personal favorite item on this list is, of course, shopping. Visit your favorite boutiques in your town and have a shopping day with your mom or best friend and revamp your spring wardrobe— this is also a great confidence booster!

Although being stuck in your hometown for spring break when it seems like everyone else is on vacation can be lonely, I hope these ideas help make your week a bit more joyful and relaxing!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Abby is a freshman at BU studying journalism.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.