How to Procrastinate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This finals period you should study for all of your tests in advance, and not waste any time at all.  But, get real.  You won’t.  So to help you out, I’ve created a simple blue-print for procrastination (as if you needed any help).  For best results follow directions exactly.

Start out on Facebook, because a good dose of people stalking will help you focus later on…trust me.  I mean, once you have the knowledge of what all of your Facebook friends are doing, and you’ve seen all of their latest pictures, and you know their latest relationship news, you’ll be able to continue on with your own life, and focus on what you need to do.  And what you need to do right now is study for that big final.

Wait, before you start studying, you’re going to probably need some coffee.  That’s just a fact, not an excuse to procrastinate even further.  How are you supposed to stay awake and concentrate if you haven’t had a sufficient amount of caffeine?  While you’re at it, use the time that it takes you to get coffee to catch up with a friend.  Invite them to tag along with you.  Getting coffee by yourself is no fun, anyways!  You could use some company while preparing to get to serious business. 

You’re going to realize while getting coffee with your friend, that you have SO MUCH to talk about.  You’ve been so stressed, and she’s been so stressed, and you both need some time to vent.  Take a walk with her.  It will be healthy.  And it will help you to clear your head before you have to actually get to work.  Just a short walk – a short thirty minute walk.  It’s necessary and then you KNOW you’ll get back to studying.

Before you start getting back to work, you should check Facebook again.  Just because you’ve been away so long, and you need to make sure you have all the latest not-so-vital information. 

While you’re pulling up Facebook on your laptop, look down at your hands and stare in disbelief at what you see.  How long have your nails been so long, and chipped, and…ugly?  You just cannot go on with nails like that.  You need to give yourself a manicure before doing anything else.  Then you promise yourself you’ll get back to work.

On second though, shower first.  A clean self will help you focus and settle into the studying.

After your shower, see the latest issue of Cosmo sitting in the corner of your room.  It looks really interesting, and you’re sure all of the articles will be enticing and apply to your life, and offer realistic advice.  Read a few articles, and then decide to get back to work. 

Pull your computer back out.  End up on Facebook.

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.