How To Master Apple Picking Season (If You Haven’t Already!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In perfect mid-October fashion, we New Englanders have begun flocking outside of the city for a bite of crisp autumn apples (and their baked good friends). If you have not already had your fair share of corn mazes, apple cider donuts (as if that could happen), or frolicking in farmland, then look no further than our guide to become a master of the apple picking fad. 

Step 1: Pick the place  

There are LOTS of farms just outside the city for apple picking (about an hour or so). The best way to get to each is by car. If you are one of the lucky few who has a car on campus (or know someone who does) then you are already ahead of the game. Below are three awesome places only an hour from campus. Each has rows of apple trees, a farm, fresh shops equipped with apple cider donuts, fresh-made cider, and all other fall time favorites. It’s guaranteed to be a great time. 

1. Honey Pot Hill 

138 Sudbury Road, Stow, MA 01775 

(978) 562-5666 

Price: $24 20-pound bag, up to five people/$16 10-pound bag, up to three people  

2. Russell Orchards 

143 Argilla Rd., Ipswich, MA 01938 

(978) 356-5366 

www.russellorchards.com

Price: $3 entry fee/$15 10-pound bag up to five people

3. Smolak Farms 

315 South Bradford St., North Andover, MA 01845 

(978) 687-4029 

Price: $20 10- to 14-pound bag/$35 20 to 24-pound bag/$40 bucket (and keep the bucket!)  

Step 2: Gather the group 

A good group on the apple-picking trip is essential. Not only for the company but also for the memories of a great time together. Getting out of the city with your besties is the best way to bond on a whole new level. Not to mention if you go in a nice big group the picture taking festivities be equally exciting and quick (the more the merrier!).  

Step 3: Pick an Outfit 

Apple picking is the ultimate blend of fall fashion, brisk breeze, warm sun, and muddy fields. The essential outfit includes jeans, a warm flannel or light jacket, a cozy scarf, sunglasses (unless the day is hazy like above), and great boots. Make sure the boots are ones you won’t mind ruining in case the fields are muddier than usual. No matter the apple-picking combo you choose, just make sure it’s great for that mid-apple grabbing Instagram later on!  

Step 4: EAT 

While apple picking, the best way to make sure you like the kind of apple you pick, is to test them out. So just munch on them as you go! After the picking process is over, we reach the best part of the trip: the baked goods. Most local apple picking farms will have a fully operational farm store where you can find fresh made apple cider (warm or cool), baked fresh apple cider donuts and other scrumptious baked goods coated in the fall familiar taste of cinnamon!  

Whether you hit all of these steps or not, you are bound to have a great time this apple-picking season! So remember, the MOST important tip: Just have fun!  

Samantha is a junior Broadcast Journalism major in the College of Communication at Boston University. She is the celebrity news anchor on Good Morning BU on BUTV 10. The campus Manager for University Tees and the current Vice President of Recruitment for sorority. She firmly believes that not all who wonder are lost, the ability of food to fuel the soul.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis