How to Make Your Outfit Pop This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We’ve all been there before. It’s just starting to get cold, and you find yourself adding more and more layers just to stay warm in this windy Boston weather. You’re tired of seeing the same colors…grey, brown, black, beige. However, I have three simple steps to make any boring outfit look absolutely fabulous. I decided to go to J.Crew to see what accessories really work. Here’s my three purchases this winter that I can’t get enough of!

[pagebreak]

Cobalt Blue Shoes:
At first, I was hesitant about this color because I’ve never been a fan of bright blue. But I decided to take a chance, and these instantly became my favorite ballet flat. Having a simple, bright flat adds just enough color to any outfit without overdoing it. Try these with an all-black ensemble. I suggest a black turtleneck, black pixie pants and a cobalt blue belt or necklace to draw more attention to the shoes. Who knew looking stylish could be so easy? All it really comes down to is the right accessories. J.Crew Classic leather ballet flats, $110.

[pagebreak]

Leopard Scarf:
Throughout this fall and winter season, we’ve seen several animal prints on the runway. However, I’ve stayed away from all prints except leopard. It’s important to only add one or two prints to your wardrobe so you don’t have too much of one style. What I decided to go with is a simple, silk leopard scarf. It’s sophisticated, fun and chic. My go to outfit: A white blouse, skinny blue jeans, beige sweater, brown boots and this scarf to top it off. J.Crew Leopard scarf, $59.50.

[pagebreak]

Red handbag:
Red is also a huge color this winter. I first saw the “Edie” bag featured in InStyle and on the Today Show, which made me want it even more! Although some shades of red are too bright, this bag is a great accent for any outfit. And what’s more perfect than a red bag for the holiday season? I purchased this to dress up my wardrobe. I’ll pair it with a gold shimmer skirt, black patent pumps, a black cardigan and a skinny red belt. J.Crew Edie Tote, $348.

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.