How to Make a 98 Cent Latte, Because Starbucks Is Overrated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ah, nothing’s better than the sweet smell of money leaving my bank account in the morning. A latte, a nitro cold brew, even a regular cold brew; I’m not picky. 

Even though I am not the type of person who relies on coffee every morning, there is something nice about walking into a Starbucks and picking up a coffee. Or sitting at a coffee shop to study all day. What’s not so nice is how fast the daily coffee habit adds up. 

As someone who tracks their expenses, I am definitely aware of how much my coffee habit costs me. It is definitely my largest discretionary expense, which is why it’s the first thing I cut out when I need to save money. 

While I could cut out coffee completely and still be a perfectly functioning human, I take too much pleasure in my morning caffeine to do so. Rather, I just started making my own coffee at home. 

I bought an espresso machine and I went from spending $5.30 on a nitro cold brew to $0.98 for a hot latte and $1.11 for an iced latte. 

To make the latte I use Peet’s Coffee Espresso Pods. I purchased a pack of 50 for $28.97, which comes out to $0.58 per espresso pod. The milk I use for my lattes, Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almond Milk, is $3.19. One carton makes eight hot lattes, which comes out to $0.40 per hot latte. I can make six iced lattes per carton, which comes out to $0.53 per iced latte.

The price breakdown for a hot almond milk latte is roughly $0.98 and $1.11 for an iced almond milk latte.

It takes less than two minutes to prepare my lattes. I simply turn on the espresso machine and pour in milk and ice for the iced latte. I use a milk frother for hot lattes, but it doesn’t take any extra effort.

If you want to start saving up for a summer vacation or even your first place a few years down the line, cutting on your daily expenses like coffee is a great way to make progress, fast. Besides, who doesn’t like the feeling of holding a warm cup of coffee at home in the morning and enjoying some much-needed alone time in college? It’s much better than waiting in a Starbucks line, that’s for sure.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Clarissa is a senior majoring in Journalism at Boston University's College of Communication. Besides writing, Clarissa loves Srabble, astrology, and satire. ?
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.