This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker, Lucy Dacus. Opening night at MGM Music Hall. Boygenius is plastered in bold letters for all to see. For me to see. 

Buying tickets for this concert, I didn’t know what to expect. All three artists have their own wistful and melancholic style to their music. Combined, they have a beautifully harmonious sound, with a little alternative edge. 

In the days leading up to the concert, I wouldn’t say I was as thrilled as I usually am when I get to see an artist live. I thought, I’ve listened to their music for so long, what if I expect too much?

From the corner of my eye, I see Dacus, then Baker and Bridgers right next to her. I was trying to enjoy the local opening band Palehound, but I kept watching them. 

I was so anxious, yet excited, to not only see but hear them in real life. 

Finally, the backdrop showed the three backstage with one microphone singing “Without You Without Them,” the a capella intro track of their latest album. Right then, I knew this was going to be the best concert I’ve ever seen. 

Their album and debut EP came to life before my eyes. I was hearing the voices that previously could only be brought to me by my headphones. 

They announced a new EP called The Rest, being released on October 13, and the crowd screamed as they played “Black Hole,” a new song on the EP, as a sneak peek. 

Finally, to top off their amazing set and encore, Hozier made a surprise appearance and sang the last few seconds of “Salt in the Wound.”

I could try to describe the concert more, but all I can really say is you had to be there. I was there for the waiting, the anticipation, and all the emotions. 

Boygenius has been the best show I’ve been to yet. With each harmony, I was provided comfort and healing. 

Seeing music live will make you feel every emotion you’ve ever felt when listening to your favorite artists on your headphones, and I urge you to enjoy every moment of it.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Angelica Vivas is a writer at the Her Campus at Boston University chapter. She pitches ideas to her editor and writes article every week. Beyond Her Campus, Angelica works as a contributing writer for Boston University's Daily Free Press. She is a writer for the features section. At the Daily Free Press, she is given a variety of pitches to choose from in order to write and be published for the newspaper. Angelica has written for a youth-led organization called Illuminating Voices that sought to highlight women of color. She is currently a sophomore at Boston University, majoring in Journalism. When she's not writing for Her Campus, Angelica enjoys writing for her own Substack, and learning songs on the piano and guitar. She's a sucker for art museums and cafés!