samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How I Deal with Being a Transfer Living Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m sure by now that everyone has felt that terrifying feeling of being new. Especially in college, being new is scary and lonely, yet exciting at the same time. But, speaking as someone who has moved around so much, I know one thing: you will always get over it and you can find your home anywhere. Trust me. 

As I said, I have dealt with being new so many times and even though it never gets any less scary, it’s made me a super extroverted and adventurous person who loves new experiences. However, when I transferred to Boston University, I was shyer than ever before.

I was accepted to Boston University as a guaranteed transfer, meaning that if I went to any accredited college for my freshman year, I could join BU as a sophomore the next year. I graduated from high school in Houston, Texas and decided it would be cheaper and wiser to move up to Boston with my sister—since she was already going to BU at the time—and go to community college for a year.

So, after a sweet summer traveling and saying goodbye to all my friends in Houston, I moved to Boston, where literally no one knew my name. I attended Bunker Hill Community College for a year and, surprisingly, I loved it. I got to know the city like the back of my hand and met so many amazing people!

Credit: WBUR

The next year, I was starting at BU where, again, I didn’t know anyone. The first couple of weeks were rough and lonely, but I met some of my closest friends at transfer orientation, attempted to make at least one friend in every class I had, and joined a bunch of clubs at Splash.

Even though it was scary, all I had to do was to put myself out there. I realized in college that everyone was just as lonely, stressed, and busy as me, but still so kind and welcoming, especially in clubs.

The transition into a completely new college wasn’t the smoothest, but it was a great experience because I learned a lot about myself.

Now, onto my second year at BU and my junior year of college, I’m on the executive board for the BU Filipino Student Association (BUFSA) and active in many clubs. I still make time for my close friends who live all over the city, and I even have an internship. Time management is key! 

Credit: BUFSA

I never thought being a transfer living off-campus would be this easy, but it is. I enjoy the commute, the busyness, and my fellow college friends who understand we all don’t have time for everything. It’s tiring, but it’s great.

Whether you are a new freshman coming into college, a transfer, or just someone entering a new club or job, I believe in you. All you need to do is put yourself out there. You got this. If I can do it, so can you!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Caele (pronounced Kay-lee) is a senior at Boston University studying Advertising and Spanish. She loves books, film, music, photography, food, traveling, fashion, and beauty. Before COVID-19, you could usually find her on the MBTA or in a coffee shop.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.