How to Get Excited for the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With the 22nd winter Olympics kicking off this Thursday evening Feb. 6, excitement is beginning to build for the games. This year’s Olympics will be one of the most interesting to date, so here is everything you need to know so you can get in on the hype!

The ancient tradition of the Olympics has remained a part of our world’s culture throughout history, known for promoting friendly competition between countries to diffuse diplomatic tensions. Every two years, alternating between summer and winter games, the Olympics and its media exposure allow for athletes to gain their claim to fame, as well as the host city and country to show themselves off to the rest of the world.

This winter’s Olympics will be held in Sochi, Russia, marking the 2nd games to be held on Russian turf. Surprisingly, this year will be the warmest winter Olympics on record, as Sochi is known to be a popular subtropical vacation spot for Russians. Russian president Putin loves to spend his summers there.

Over 13,000 athletes from 82 countries across the globe will be participating in 33 different sports and nearly 400 events. The competition will feature 16,000 torches symbolizing the original Olympic games in ancient Greece, where 98 medals will be up for grabs. The 18-day long event will cost an estimated 50 billion dollars to put on.

What is exciting about Sochi is that 12 brand new sports were added to the competition for the first time, so be sure to check out some team figure skating and ski half pipe, to same a few.

There has been quite a bit of controversy surrounding the impending games at Sochi. The threat of terrorism and Russian prejudice against LGBT athletes could tarnish warm and inviting ideals the games stand for. The U.S. is among several countries that are looking out for the safety of their athletes, assuring athletes and spectators both visiting Russia and at home that security is a huge priority during the games.

The opening ceremonies for Sochi will begin Thursday, Feb. 6 at 12 p.m. with events starting the following day. Grab some friends, and each pick a different country to root for during the games. Make a traditional dish from that country, and all gather together to snack and watch some of your favorite competitions (I never miss figure skating!).

How will you be celebrating the kick off of the winter Olympics in Sochi? Share in the comments section below! 

Devoted fan of ballet flats, "Breakfast at Tiffany’s," Italian desserts and pajama sets. Firm believer that I was Audrey Hepburn in my past life. Journalism sophomore at Boston University. Follow @hrh_victoria on Twitter.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.