How to Enhance Your Natural Hair Texture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The warmer months are finally approaching – yes! This means pools, ocean, humidity, and more are going to be playing a factor in your hair condition. If you resume your current hair styling routine in the summer (which probably includes heat, at least on the weekends,) your hair will most likely turn into a big frizzball. Honestly, unless you’re going to a formal event, like a wedding, or maybe a date, you really don’t need to put heat on your hair – and you shouldn’t.

I have a few tips and tricks for every hair texture out there to make the most out of those natural locks so you can essentially just wash and go!

Straight hair: You can honestly get away with just letting your hair dry naturally and do nothing to it (LUCKY!). If you want to add some loose beach waves (loose is about all you’re going to achieve without a styling tool,) you could spray some beach spray in your hair. You could either scrunch it in and let it go, or spray it in at night, braid it, and you’ll have some beachy waves in the morning.

I recommend Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray that you can pick up at any drugstore. It smells JUST LIKE the beach.

Wavy hair: Wavy hair can be pretty tricky. I have wavy hair myself, and it has taken me a very long time to figure out how to style it. Wavy hair works really well with salt spray, but the salt can dry hair out if you use it every day. Instead, after shampooing, I like to comb my hair in the shower while it has conditioner in it and refrain from combing it when I get out – if you comb and brush your hair after the shower when you want to style it curly, your hair most likely will not turn out the best. This is because combing and brushing the hair after a shower can break up your natural curl pattern. Once I towel dry it a little, I combine salt spray with a curling cream in my hand, scrunch, and go. This works really well because the curling cream alone can be extremely heavy on wavy hair, but when you add a texturizing spray that includes sea salt, it adds the perfect amount of hold.

I recommend Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray and OGX Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Cream.

Curly hair: Curly hair is enhanced really well with curling creams and mousses. You can apply salt spray in it, although it doesn’t really need the salt to enhance the curl like straight and wavy hair do. In the shower, shampoo, condition and comb the hair. When you get out, towel-dry your hair, and scrunch in either a curling cream or mousse. Curling cream is best if you find your hair is a little more on the dry side (it adds more moisture) while curling mousses add more of a lightweight, non-greasy hold. Be careful not to scrunch the products close to the roots because this will create an unpleasant sticky, greasy surprise.

I recommend OGX Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Cream and John Frieda Frizz-Ease Take Charge Curl-Boosting Mousse.

Have fun with your natural hair, HCBU!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.