photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

How To Deal With Family on Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Let’s get something straight – I love my family and I am truly excited to go home for Thanksgiving break. However, I think we all can agree that sitting at a table with immediate and extended family for multiple hours at a time is extremely stressful and can occasionally lead to raised voices or even tears. Therefore, I have compiled some helpful tips for avoiding any Thanksgiving dinner anxiety.  

The most important thing you can do to ensure a calm, stress-free Thanksgiving is getting into the right state of mind.  Know that your grandmother (like always) is going to hint at the fact that you’ve gained a few pounds. Instead of sulking, try to come up with a cheery response such as, “The food at school is sooo good!” This way, you can casually move onto the next subject without letting the awkwardness linger.

Another key piece of advice is to choose your location wisely. If you are given the choice between the adult table and the kids table, choose the kids table. Again, choose the kids table – I cannot stress this enough. Yes, you may be 21 years old and all your cousins may still be in their single digits, but that is OK. Would you rather be interrogated about your relationship status or discuss the latest Spongebob episode? Yeah, that’s what I thought. If your family sits around one table or does buffet-style, the optimal location would be to sit with your parents. They will be too preoccupied by their own family stress to focus on you, enabling you to eat your turkey and stuffing in peace.

However, if you do happen to get ambushed, you should prepare answers to a variety of invasive questions such as, “Do you have a boyfriend yet?” “What are you doing to get a good job/internship this summer?” “Are you going to grad school?” “How are your grades?” Obviously the answers to some of these questions could be disappointing to your family members, and how awkward to have all the attention on you. Your best bet is to go for something vague that will not prompt further discussion, such as “Yes, maybe, we’ll see.” Make sure to smile no matter what. And then ask a question about how your aunt’s yoga practice is going. It is always, always better to listen to a boring story than to answer a boring question. 

Finally, focus on your food – no one can disrupt you whist you are stuffing your face. But seriously, have a good Thanksgiving and remember to be thankful for everything you have, even well-meaning but awkward family members!