This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

French women know what it means to have that “je ne sais quoi” look about them. I have always been intrigued and mesmerized by French style and the classic red lip. French girls have some unspoken rules about looking effortless and chic simultaneously, especially when it comes to hair. Here are some tips for those wannabe-French-girls just like me. 

1. The classic bob

Credit: Pinterest

This bob is a classic look for French women. This effortless look is no easy feat. It requires major upkeep and love. This haircut works for all face shapes and is overall a beautiful, sophisticated look while also being cheeky and edgy. The trick to this is to find the right hairdresser and do some research as to how to communicate exactly what you want. The last thing you want is to be disappointed with your new hair.

2. Never brush your hair

Credit: Pinterest

Have you ever wondered how French girls get that effortless, “just rolled out of bed look”? Yeah, me too. Well, apparently it’s almost a sin to brush your luscious locks. Instead, run your fingers through your hair with some hair oil. This helps keep your frizzy hair at bay while keeping its shine to the max. I use the Ouai rose hair oil. I have had mine for about one year, and I still have half of the bottle remaining. It is a great investment for beautiful hair!

3. Bangs, bangs, and more bangs

Credit: Pinterest

There are many types of bangs that you can get: baby bangs, curtain bangs, front bangs, side bangs, and the list goes on. This year, I had the courage to get the famous baby bangs (aka Audrey Hepburn style bangs). I absolutely loved them because they framed my face and I always felt put together when I walked out the door. Bangs are great and French girls are famous for them. But, they are a major commitment. Right now, I am going through the process of letting them grow out and honestly, it is a lengthy and agonizing process. So, make sure you think about your options before you take out the scissors.

4.  Never blow dry your hair 

Credit: Pinterest 

You can just chuck that blow dryer out the window because French girls don’t use blow dryers. Instead, make use with the good old flat iron and curling iron or better yet, ditch the heat all together! Make sure you add a little movement to your hair by adding some waves with the curling iron.

5. Messy Up-do 

Credit: Pinterest

When in doubt, put your hair up in a messy bun. The messier the better. Remember, we are trying to master the effortless look without looking like we actually did roll out of bed. This is a classic look for the French. You can easily achieve this look by pulling some loose hair from the bun to have wispy hair to frame your face.

French girls and Audrey Hepburn have mastered style and hair and we have a few things to learn from them. This is a good start to achieving that Parisian look! I most definitely have to urge to chop off my hair: I mean, why not?

After all, hair always grows back. So, if you ever get the itch to snip your hair, do some research and have fun with it!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Olivia is a freshman at BU studying film and television. She loves hot chai tea lattes and her dog, Puffin. She loves to paint, draw and read cheesy romance novels in her free time.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.