Bookstore fireplace
Bookstore fireplace
Original photo by Grace Clyde

Grace’s Picks: Beacon Hill Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether you’ve lived in Boston your whole life or are brand new to the city, there are endless spots for you to explore. 

From food to entertainment, various specialty shops and everything in between, I invite you to get off campus and discover all this city has to offer, starting with my first pick: Beacon Hill Books!

Beacon Hill Books storefront
Original photo by Grace Clyde

Beacon Hill itself is a charming, historic neighborhood nestled between the Boston Public Garden and the Charles River. With historic buildings, boutique stores, and delicious restaurants, Beacon Hill is a destination you shouldn’t skip. 

Hop on the MBTA’s green line to the Boylston stop, take a stroll through Boston Common to Charles Street, and you’ll find yourself at the beginning of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. 

Another great option while the weather is nice (and as the leaves start to change!) is a 30 minute walk up Beacon Street starting at the Eastern end of BU’s campus. 

Once at Charles Street, it’s a short walk to Beacon Hill Books, located at 71 Charles Street. You will be greeted by a beautiful building, the baby blue Beacon Hill Books sign, and a hanging stack of books with their mascot, Paige the squirrel, perched on top. 

Inside, you’ll find three floors of books and gorgeous architecture. A fourth basement floor hosts a full service cafe. 

Bookstore window
Grace Clyde

The first floor houses various non-fiction books, including cookbooks and biographies. There is also a section with books dedicated to Boston, along with various pieces of Boston merchandise. 

The second floor boasts a large selection of fiction books, as well as beautiful photography and coffee table reads. 

Finally, the third floor is dedicated to children and young adult books, complete with interactive pieces for children and a working toy train circling the top of the room.

Children\'s room
Original photo by Grace Clyde

You are sure to find whatever genre you are looking for, as well as many cozy nooks and places to curl up and dig into the book you choose. 

Note that, if possible, I recommend going on a weekday! The weekends can get quite crowded with tourists and people looking to unwind from the week.

Fall is the perfect time to pick up a new book, or revisit a loved old one. 

Whether you are an avid reader or a lover of beautiful spaces, Beacon Hill Books is one of Boston’s many gems that you should check out!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace Clyde is a sophomore writer for HerCampus Boston University. She covers lifestyle recommendations, specifically Boston travel and discovery content. Grace is an Education and Human Development major pursuing a minor in Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Outside of HerCampus Grace has worked in various educational settings including roles as a paraeducator at an elementary school, and teacher at a childcare center. In her free time Grace enjoy's reading, exploring new spots around the city, and working out, particularly participating in indoor cycling classes. She is currently pursuing a position as an indoor cycling instructor.