Giving Back Before Giving Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the Boston traffic, personal budgets, and stress levels begin to increase, the holiday spirit may lose some steam. The winter season has become the gifting and “getting” season, but let’s not forget the “giving”. Here is a list of four simple ways to give back this year and get back your holiday spirit! 

1. Participation in a food drive 

Whether you have time to help out with a local food drive or just to donate a few cans, participating or volunteering is a rewarding way to help those in need.

2. Donations to Goodwill or Salvation Army

You know Grandma is probably going to get you another sweater this year, so how about getting rid of the pullovers that you don’t wear? Put together a pile of items you do not want or use anymore and drop them off at a donation center on your way to class or drive back home. In certain dorms on campus, BU places large Goodwill bins for clothing and other donations. 

3. Candygrams

Ever had someone offer his or her seat to you on the Metro or allowed you to cut in the line in the GSU food court? Carry a couple of candy canes or other festive treats and give them out to the next kind stranger. 

4. Saying “Thank you” to professors on the last day of class

screenshot taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGeILC8YoRI

Finish off the semester with season’s greetings by wishing your professors a happy holidays. Those who teach large, auditorium-sized classes may miss the opportunity to build relationships with their students. Fill that student-teacher relationship gap by letting he or she know what you enjoyed the most in the class. 

It’s the little things over the holiday season that make spirits bright. Go out of the way to pay it forward! 

Celia is a freshman at Boston University in the College of Communication.  She is currently undecided but is interested in Public Relations and Mass Communication.  Her outside interests include fashion, fitness, and fine dining.  When she is not studying or working for HerCampus, she spends her time filming and editing YouTube videos for her fashion and lifestyle channel.  She hopes to someday be a celebrity event planner or host her own talk show.  In the meantime, she plans to take in college one day at a time. Check out Celia's YouTube channel and follow her on Twitter.www.youtube.com/user/StyleMeCeliaTwitter: @stylemecelia
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.