Style > Beauty

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun: Makeup Trends I’ve Been Loving in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

While I will forever stand by the universal fact that a smoky-eye or a bright red lip stands undefeated, with makeup becoming an influential part of fashion and this year coming to an end (already? I know!), I’d like to pay homage to some of the funkiest yet wearable makeup trends that, from the red-carpet to the runway, have been celebrity favorites this season.

It’s All in the Eyes

In case you haven’t heard, the trends of the 80s and 90s are back all across the board — and this time, it looks like they are here to stay. Just like the retro era, this year, it’s all about making eyes pop with pastels. If you’re feeling adventurous, sporting a hint of neon (done tastefully, of course!) could also help you up your glam game. Try some white-lined eyes with pink lids, or ditch the liner altogether for a more complex mint green and metallic look. Whatever you choose, don’t forget – the key is to blend, blend, and BLEND.

Not All That Glitters is Gold

That’s right ladies, get excited because there is officially no such thing as too much glitter! In fact, the experts seem to be doing away with the conventional metallic colors (such as gold, silver, and bronze), and are now exploring metallic shades of purple, blue, and green through eyeliners and eye shadows. If you think it stops there, think again because with lip gloss making a major come back, sparkly lips seem to be favorite too — and we are here for it!

Shapes, Colors, and Sizes

This season, experts are taking the cat-eye trend to a whole new level with floating cat-eye triangles and other geometric shapes that mimic the shape of a traditional cat-eye lined eye. What’s more? Your favorite celebs seem to be doing away with the basic black liners altogether and are pairing it up with bright pops of color, such as pink or white. Additionally, simply lining your lids with turquoise and other shades of green will definitely make them stand out without really trying hard too hard to be noticed —it can be your quick and easy fix for those lazy, lethargic days when spending hours getting ready seems like a real chore.

Raw is Real

Beauty often lies in the simplicity of things and experts are slowly realizing that this couldn’t be truer when it comes to makeup. Gone are the days of caking one coat of heavy foundation onto another, as most people are ditching their favorite foundation for an easy to use, SPF protecting tinted moisturizer. Couple it with a radiant concealer to help blur your blemishes without taking away from your natural skin.

So… Exactly How Much Sparkle is Too Much?

As if we haven’t mentioned it enough, this is the year of everything glowy, glitzy, and glam. Nothing screams these three G’s more than a potent highlighter. For paler skin tones, pairing your highlighter with a shimmery bronzer or blush can help give you rose-flushed or sun-kissed skin – depending on what kind of look you are going for.

Here’s hoping that this summary of the best makeup trends of 2019 gives you some inspiration to experiment with color, creativity, and cosmetics! Happy glamming!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

My name is Anoushka. I am a Senior at Boston University, studying Journalism and Advertising. I am from Mumbai, India, the land of spices, culture, and colour. I love singing and basically anything that screams music. When I'm not writing or belting the notes to my favourite Adele song, I enjoy trying new foods (cooking and eating, of course), travelling around the globe, and looking for new ingredients to add to my superfood stash.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.