Fusion’s Chad Hara

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Blackness. Silence. Then – glow.

Casting perpendicularly from above onto the wooden stage, the light shimmers onto the dark outlines that emerge as the music fades in. The dancers break, lock, and pop to the rhythm, flowing with ferocious grace. Amongst them, Chad Hara (COM ’15).

On stage, while performing with Fusion (BU’s Hip Hop Dance Group), Chad pulls off an act of confidence that almost intimidates you, yet once you meet him it is impossible to miss the smile casting on his face. “I live on the edge so that I can keep saying YOLO,” he jokes, jittering to the side making sure he has made his friends laugh.

Majoring in Advertising and minoring in Deaf Studies, Chad willingly admits what we all silently think when asked what our dream job is, “I just want to be happy – if I have to marry someone rich, I’ll do it!”

But actually speaking, his passion for advertising spurs from his pursuit of a balance between creativity and business, finding that, like dance, advertising is the best medium to express himself. As for his interest in sign language, he simply asserts, “I took sign language as my language requirement and fell in love, not only the language, but also with the culture.”

Aside from academics, Chad is a choreographer and a part of the promotion team for Fusion. His dance calling originated in high school when, faced with no attractive hip hop opportunities in Hawaii, he taught himself some dance moves and fully dove into dancing in his freshman year of college.

When he’s not designing the overall artistic set or piecing together stylish moves, Chad says you’ll find him “’harassing’ (being overly sarcastic) with his friends… it’s what I do best”. Or sitting in his apartment in South, listening to really sad music, alone, accompanied by thirty jars of Nutella. Or watching He’s Just Not That Into You and Mean Girls – yes, when it comes to movies, he’s truly in touch with his feminine side, a romantic at heart. “They’re all chick flicks, I know it… and I love it,” Chad says, breaking out in laughter.

While dancing seems to be his artsy talent, he does admit his secret talent is his ability to be really mean to people and still get them to be his friends – probably what he meant by “harassing”. As for an interesting fact, he shares he does not eat anything that walks in four legs – and no, that does not mean he is a vegetarian.

More importantly, when asked what he would do if he were filthy rich, he blatantly answered, “I better have a golden toilet”. 

After living most of her life in the polluted, traffic-filled streets of Sao Paulo, Brazil that reverberate ambulance sirens, Meli knew she wanted a city-campus college experience and made her way to BU, College of Communication. With a profound interest in the human psych, love for words, and unpredictable multicultural background, she knew advertising was the field that would merge all of her passions into one. Her desire to travel the world, getting lost in exotic cities, tracing narrow cobbled streets, and the thrill of the unknown, is similar to what lures her to advertising: the dynamic and flexible characteristic of the field, which forces it to constantly adapt to emerging social trends. With two years left to complete her degrees in Advertising and Psychology, she plans on spending a semester abroad interning in London, diffusing her Brazilian culture through her campus, eating chocolate and blogging about travel.  
Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."