Freshman’s Guide to Marathon Monday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Marathon Monday—aka, the only Monday you’ll ever look forward to—is right around the corner. Between the upcoming warm weather and cancelled classes, it is destined to be a successful and enjoyable day. But to ensure you have the best possible experience, we have compiled some tips and guidelines for you to follow:

1. Have a game plan.
You want to know where you’re going, when you’re going there, and who you’re going with.  Monday morning can be hectic, so planning things out ahead of time is a good idea.

2. Cool spots for spectators.
So where are the best spots to watch the marathon? South campus and Kenmore Square are the prime locations on BU campus. These locations mark the last few miles of the marathon, making them especially exciting.

3. Wake up early and get a good breakfast.
The marathon starts early, so make sure you wake up early! More importantly, eat a fulfilling breakfast. Marathon Monday is a long day, so start it off with a wholesome meal.

4. What to wear.
Forecasts are predicting Monday to be mostly sunny and in the 60s. So whip out that new spring outfit you’ve been dying to wear or do what most BU students do: make matching “Marathon Monday” shirts for you and your friends.

5. Some extra things you might want to pack:
·      Sunglasses—Like I said—In the 60s and sunny, girls! Sunglasses are a must.
·      Sunscreen—Even though it’s going to be partly cloudy, sunscreen is always important. Make sure you apply          some before heading out (and keep an extra bottle in your bag, just in case).
·      WATER—Whether you bring it in a water bottle or in your CamelBak® pack, just make sure you have some.        You won’t regret it.
·      Snacks—Because if you leave to get food, you might lose your awesome front-row spot. (And, on a side note:        snacks are also good for absorbing any alcohol you might consume).
·      A camera—Take lots of pictures and make all of your non-Boston friends jealous.
·      Your cellphone—Yes, I know. Like we’d go anywhere without having it glued to us, right?
·      Money—You never know where the day will take you! Just have some extra cash on you for food, water, or            anything else you might need.

6. Pace yourself.
Be responsible if you do decide to drink. Monday is a very long day, so take it easy. Drink lots of water, keep food in your stomach, and be conscious of your limits. After all, you want to remember how great of a time you had.

7. Cheer on the runners!
Sure, it’s nice to have the day off, but don’t forget why you’re off! (And no, the answer isn’t “Patriot’s Day”). So while you’re sitting around enjoying a nice cool drink, make sure to cheer on that 80-year-old man who’s running 26 miles. Just give all the runners the credit they deserve—it’s the boost they’ll need to keep going.

8. Most importantly…
HAVE FUN! You only experience the glory of Marathon Monday four times during your college career, so make it a day you won’t forget or regret. 

*Photo curtosey of The Daily Free Press

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.