Flyer Education: BU Hip Hop’s Latest Mixtape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.
Have you listened to the sick tracks on Flyer Education yet? Released just barely a week ago, it’s only BU Hip Hop’s latest and greatest mixtape—even with a special song for the ladies. Check out the group’s album on Bandcamp. There are 15 tracks, each featuring a unique group of vocalists, including Toon, Naomi Adaora, Young Pastry, tate, yung homie, Dark Mark, Jr. Gable, Dad Jeans, Son Icarus, Bruester, Jamal, SKY, ZIXO, Sam Slamwich, Elijah 777, InSpecta Jones, Miss Communicate, Yung DB, Fresh Peter, Howie D, Blair, Eugene Mundowa, KABLE, Flo the Kid, E da Buddha and KidOne. But none of this would be possible without executive producers, Scott Thompson, Jordan Pories and Sam Slamwich, and the rest of the production team. Turn up your volume and jam (or plug in your ear buds for a study pump-up) because you’ll want a piece of these beats.

Before listening though, here’s a little bit about BU Hip Hop. It’s a BU student organization for students with a passion for hip-hop. The group’s primary goal is to connect student musicians, collaborators, concert-goers and hip-hop lovers and bring them together in a community. The group’s second goal is education. Members strive to learn as much as possible about hip-hop and the music’s context, looking at the genre as a culture, rather then simply “rap music.” Catch them in action during weekly freestyle cyphers, each Wednesday at 5 p.m. in front of the GSU. Members welcome and encourage visitors too, so feel free to stop in!

Now, while listening to the mixtape, pay special attention to track #8, “I Ain’t Lyin,’” by SKY, Yung DB and Miss Communicate, and produced by Ace Shocka. It’s a feminist rap calling all females to stand up for themselves and demand the respect they deserve, and telling all males to watch out because women are going to make this change. SKY raps, “Here’s my rule of thumb: When talking to a woman, look up to her, not down. Wait, you get it?” Collegiettes, how true is this? It’s so important that we support each other, because without internal support, how can we rise up? If we’re demanding respect from men, we first need to respect each other and ourselves. And then, we can show our guy friends how it should be done.

Part II of the rap is all Yung DB, speaking to the current generation totake charge to create a better future. She challenges listeners: “Be a part of this change. Keep the ladies moving forward. Gotta keep pushing every day. If we don’t make an effort, no one else will. Leave the next generation with big shoes to fill.” It’s our responsibility to make changes, because if we don’t act in any way (big or small), nothing will change. We have the ability to make a difference for ourselves and for the future of the female sex—our daughters.

Finally, Miss Representation closes the track talking about how we, as females, will not be silenced. She preaches, “I’ve come to dominate, but boy, make no mistake. I’m no dominatrix cause I play high stakes. No muffler on my pipes, no silencer at my mouth. So forget your directions, my compass reads south.” She talks about how we’re serious in effecting change and we’re going to be vocal about it. Our voices will be heard and our cause is important.

Ladies, get a flyer education. Let this mixtape be a part of your finals playlist and give you positive vibes for exams.
An advertising student at Boston University, Allison Penn has been writing for HCBU since fall 2013. Her favorite beat is tips for internships and professionalism, but enjoys musing about pop culture too. She loves the weekly #Adweekchat, children's books, the colors olive and eggplant, Friends, magazines and dark chocolate. Secretly, she still wishes she could be a ballerina when she grows up. Follow on Twitter: @AllisonRebeccaP
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.