Five Weird Food Combinations That Work (Second Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Everyone who knows me knows that wacky food combinations (that are genius most of the time) are my thing and those of you who’ve been reading my pieces for a while now, probably know it, too. Thanks to the success of the first article I did about weird food combinations (shout out to all my friends who hate on them), here are five more food combinations that may confuse you (and your taste buds) but they definitely hit the sweet spot.

Avo-toast with a tangy twist

Everyone is talking about how avocado on toast is the most basic all-day food there is, but honestly, I don’t get it. I actually think it’s the most versatile one on the menu! Some mashed avocado on a well-done sourdough toast, topped with a cocktail of blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries — and soaked in some maple balsamic reduction of course — is anything but ordinary, and is perfect for that morning or mid-day sweet craving.

Peanut butter and Sriracha on toast

Okay, so I’m really not a fan of anything that remotely screams Thai food (yes, touchy topic, but I’m just not a fan). But when my mum made some spicy peanut noodles for dinner, I was sold. I’ve always loved peanut butter and anything spicy has my taste buds forever-excited, so I basically combined the two and made my very own spicy peanut butter — now, I know I’m not Einstein, but with a good piece of toast, it’s pretty genius, if I may say so myself!

Sriracha and maple syrup on waffles

Surprise, surprise. Can you tell I love Sriracha? This is basically like a sweet chili sauce, homemade. In fact, the idea first came to me when we ran out of sweet chili sauce at home, munching on some spring rolls. As someone who loves a little kick of spice with the sweetness, I just had to pair this concoction with one of my all-time brunch favorites and now, I rarely ever eat waffles without it.

Potato chips with melted chocolate

Honestly, I don’t know why people hate on this one so much! Who doesn’t like a good ol’ sweet n’ salty combo? The saltiness of the potato chips actually enhances the chocolatey flavor and the crunch of the crispy chip just makes this one more addictive.

Berries and basil pesto

Okay, I know what you’re thinking, but hang on. You’ve made it this far, so you may as well hear me out. If you aren’t a fan of salads but recognize that you need to get some of that fiber into your system, this homemade salad dressing is your best bet! It’s fresh, tangy, and makes you forget about the leafy greens — what more can you ask for? Using a food processor, simply combine some of your favorite berries with fresh basil leaves — voila! The dressing is ready.

While some of these (if not all) may not be the most palatable combinations at first-taste; I promise that if you love a bit of a mix in flavors, they’ll be bound to grow on you and your taste buds! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

My name is Anoushka. I am a Senior at Boston University, studying Journalism and Advertising. I am from Mumbai, India, the land of spices, culture, and colour. I love singing and basically anything that screams music. When I'm not writing or belting the notes to my favourite Adele song, I enjoy trying new foods (cooking and eating, of course), travelling around the globe, and looking for new ingredients to add to my superfood stash.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.