This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re sitting at your desk between Zoom classes or chilling with the TV on in your living room on a low key weekend, maybe you need something to keep your mind busy that isn’t online school work. Over the years, I’ve collected a list of fun websites that, if we’re being honest, I mostly used when we got to go on Chromebooks for class in high school. They’re do-nothing, distracting kinds of sites, but sometimes it’s just what you need to break up your time spent scrolling through the For You Page on TikTok. 

ColorNames.org

This one actually blew up on TikTok. Visit colornames.org, “a collaborative effort to name every color in the RGB/webspace,” when you feel the need to flex your creative muscles. You can even try to stick to a theme of color naming, like Harry Potter color names or Vines.

Open Psychometrics Test

If you love taking Buzzfeed personality quizzes, visiting openpsychometrics.org will definitely entertain you. The result is a super in-depth description of which characters in pop culture fit your personality best.

Morse with Google

One of Google’s experimental websites, Google’s Morse Typing Trainer allows users to quickly and easily learn morse code — it’s like a game! I’m not going to lie to you all, I used this site to learn morse code at 5 am when quarantine was getting to me and I have no regrets.

GeoGuessr

This one was a classic high school distraction for me. If you wish you could go out and travel, visit geoguessr.com and it’ll drop you in a random location (on Google Maps street view) and you have to guess where in the world you are, with increasing points for accuracy. Or, you can play one of the special maps, like U.S. cities!

The Wiki Game

I was absolutely obsessed with the Wiki Game freshman year of college, and it’s time for it to make a comeback. If you go to thewikigame.com and click “Play Now,” you have to try getting from one Wikipedia page to another completely unrelated one only by clicking on hyperlinks. It’s a super fun game, and as a bonus here’s a dramatically narrated video of John Green trying his hand at it.

Hopefully one (or more) of these websites is a fun way to fill some of your idle time. See ya on the web!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Morgan is a senior at Boston University studying public relations with minors in art history and political science. She loves fall, cafés, and exploring Boston. She is a frequent art museum goer and an ardent Bruins fan. Besides writing, Morgan's hobbies include curating Spotify playlists, cheering on the BU Terriers at hockey games, and exploring independent bookstores.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.