First Winter Probs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re like me, you come from a place far removed from snow, ice, and mothballs (Are those urban myths? Why does everyone talk about this?) Eighteen years of fairly warm weather all year round was nice, I thought, but a little boring. Maybe experiencing actual seasons would enhance not only my college experience, but my life experience! Boy, was I optimistic.

Generally I’ve been doing okay, and although I really enjoy things like the leaves changing, the chill in the air, and warm sweaters, there’s a bunch of things I never anticipated. I guess my parents did warn me, but they’re also the ones who decided to settle down in a city two inches from the equator. Of course I’m gonna wanna be rebellious and run around the city in thirty degree weather with just a tank top on. Not that I did that…It’s just an example. Of course.

If there’s one thing my parents did encourage, it’s that the only way to learn something new is with experience—here’s some of the mistakes that definitely “enhanced” my own experiences. Hopefully I’ll read this in the future and laugh, and save a few souls going down similar paths.

During Winter:

1.)   DO NOT wear flip flops. I know you’re trying hard to hold onto the last possible moment you can convince yourself that winter isn’t coming. It doesn’t matter how short the trip is. You’ll regret it.

2.)   DO NOT skimp out on that warm waterproof coat. I once thought rain and heat were the bane of my existence. I was so naïve.

3.)   DO NOT pair your sweaters with shorts. Do you know how cold the dining hall chairs are? How cold classroom desks are? Your butt will thank me for this.

4.)   DO NOT skip the moisturizer, lip balm and water bottle. If you’re not used to dropping temperatures and heaters (like me), you’re not gonna be happy when you wake up and your skin is flakier than a croissant.

5.)   DO NOT think you’re cute ankle boots are gonna cut it. If a lumberjack shopping catalog exists somewhere in this world, I’m buying some hardy 30 pound boots from them next year. Taking NO chances.

6.)   DO NOT leave your neck bare. It’s survival of the fittest and scarfless people are first on Mother Nature’s hit list.

7.)   DO NOT think jeans are gonna keep your legs warm. They actually keep in the cold, so try thick leggings or tights instead, or put those under your jeans.

8.)   DO NOT forget your gloves when the time comes. When I didn’t wear them, I swear you could have cut off my finger and I wouldn’t have felt a thing. But at that point it felt like I had popsicles for fingers so I would sort of have welcomed their removal.

9.)   DO NOT look down at your phone while crossing a wet/icy/windy/busy/ANY road. In fact, don’t do this during any season. Ever!’

10.)   DO NOT forget to make hot chocolate or tea, wear fuzzy socks, stick your tongue out to catch the snow flakes, ice skate, throw a snowball, and take in the new whiteness that falls softly on everything around you on freezing Sunday mornings. It doesn’t last forever!

Nicole is a junior Film/TV major at Boston University. She's an Argentinean first generation student who made the leap from Miami to Boston for college. She has chosen writing as a career for reasons no one can explain, except maybe with theories of her masochistic tendencies. She dreams of being on a writing team for a sitcom and someday becoming a showrunner of her own original show.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis