Fall for Fresh Food at Boston’s Farmers Markets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Fall produce is one of the best things about this season in New England. Juicy apples for cider, savory butternut squash for soup, aromatic pumpkin for pie and sweet cranberries for sauce. And there’s nothing like getting these veggies fresh from the people who actually grow it, rather than from the shelves at Star. 

So throw on a neutral slouchy sweater, pull on your cute new booties and break out your reusable shopping bags because you’re about to hit up Boston’s great farmers markets. Make it a quick errand to get some quality ingredients or a full day trip to shop and drink in the autumn vibes. There’s a market in every neighborhood, so you needn’t travel far, or you can break out and explore on most days of the week. 

First stop, the Boston’s South End. This Sunday, October 25 is the last day of the season for the SOWA Market on Washington Street! SOWA is a MUST SEE because it’s actually three markets in one: a farmers market with local veggies, a food truck haven and an arts market full of beautiful handcrafted products. Only the best of New England’s crafters and designers are accepted to vend at the market, which results in a handpicked selection of well-crafted, unique, and fun art. Stay tuned come December though, SOWA always hosts a holiday market with beautiful handmade crafts and artisan foods. 

Second stop, BU’s very own Sustainability Farmers Market at the GSU plaza on Thursdays, 11 a.m. through 2 p.m. Be sure to see the offerings this Thursday and next because on the 29th, they stop for the year! This market is so easy to pick up some ingredients in between class, allowing you to cook a tasty meal when you get back to apartment or dorm. This is by far the most convenient farmers market for BU students. 

If you still don’t want to head too far from campus, take the 57 and walk a few blocks south to Allston Village’s market on Saturdays 12 to 4 p.m. through the end of the month. There’s always live music and a fun event occurring (this past Saturday was speed dating and on Halloween there’s a dance party!). Like the market on Facebook for more updates. 

For those of you who prefer south campus to west campus, try Brookline Farmer’s Market on Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. ‘til dusk, rain or shine. Find prepared foods, veggies, fruits, breads, jams & jellies, meats, pastries & desserts, fish, cheese, flowers and crafts at this local hotspot. 

Downtown isn’t without its fair share of markets however. Boston Copley Farmers Market is open Tuesdays and Fridays. There’s also a market at Dewey Square (near South Station) Tuesdays and Thursdays. Both close November 24. Haymarket (unsurprisingly located at the Haymarket T stop) has the best produce deals (pomegranates for 50¢ each) and is open Fridays and Saturdays year round! This is one market you can look to for fresh fruits and vegetables in frigid and scalding temperatures. 

Somerville also has an abundance of farmers markets if you’re willing to trek north on the orange line. This is the last month for Assembly Market, located in a hip and up and coming neighborhood on Sundays 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Davis Square’s market runs on Wednesday afternoons from 2 to 6 p.m. through the end of November. But after all of Boston’s markets close for the winter (aside from Haymarket), the Somerville Winter Market still has you covered with cheese, vegetables, fish, bread, meat and wine. 

Though Boston’s an urban hotspot, you can still find locally grown produce and locally made specialty foods and meats. Strike up a conversation with the venders—they produce what they sell themselves! They’re usually friendly and want to talk about what they have—it’s their livelihood and passion! Also, if you haven’t been to Boston Public Market yet for local artisan food, you must! 

An advertising student at Boston University, Allison Penn has been writing for HCBU since fall 2013. Her favorite beat is tips for internships and professionalism, but enjoys musing about pop culture too. She loves the weekly #Adweekchat, children's books, the colors olive and eggplant, Friends, magazines and dark chocolate. Secretly, she still wishes she could be a ballerina when she grows up. Follow on Twitter: @AllisonRebeccaP
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis