Fall Fashion How-To: Layering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Throughout the months of September and October, my morning usually goes something like this: First, I completely misjudge the temperature and put on warm clothes. As I’m walking down Comm. Ave., I start to get a little warm. By the time I make it to the BU Bridge, I have to throw my bag down and tear my jacket off. I’m sure I can’t be the only one who has a serious amount of trouble figuring out how to dress for this completely unpredictable Boston weather, so here are some amazing pieces for layering that can be easily integrated to your wardrobe.

This J.Crew chambray shirt is a necessity for layering. It’s great for under a crewneck sweater, like this Gap knit striped sweater. On warmer days these pieces can be worn alone, but when it gets a little chilly, they’re a perfect pair. You can’t go wrong with dark wash skinny jeans, like this pair from American Eagle. A utility jacket like this one from Topshop is ideal for days when it’s super cold in the morning but warmer by the time you’re done with class. A lightweight scarf can be thrown on for extra warmth, but it won’t have you sweating like you’re at the gym. Booties are a great investment for fall because they’re cute, functional, and so trendy. These Aldo studded booties can be worn with tons of different outfits. So layer away, ladies!

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."