Enlightened Sexism: What It Is and Why It’s Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This semester I signed up to take a women’s studies class. One of the first topics we discussed was the idea of “enlightened sexism.” Most of us in the class had no idea what this was, but as our professor continued to delve deeper into the topic, the concept fascinated me. 

Enlightened Sexism — which is talked about in “The Rise of Enlightened Sexism: How Pop Culture Took Us from Girl Power to Girls Gone Wild” — is defined by author Susan J. Douglas as “feminist in its outward appearance, but sexist in its intent.” It’s the notion that we have achieved such great strides in women’s equality that sexism is now allowed to exist without consequences. It also expresses that feminism is thought to no longer be a necessary cause worth fighting for because its goals are apparently obtained. Sexist words and actions, therefore, are “enlightened” because they are happening with the knowledge that men and women are equal. 

This idea can be applied to other forms of oppression. Racism, homophobia, anti-sexism, etc. can also become “enlightened” because progress has been made towards equality. Enlightened homophobia is especially prominent because of the achievement of gay marriage. 

I noticed the presence of enlightened sexism the most when I ended a relationship with a guy back home during my freshman year at BU. I started going to parties and actually taking note of guys who would look at me now that I was single. 

I realized that there were always so many more girls at parties than guys, and I did not understand why until I tried getting a male friend of mine into a party. Unless this friend of mine knew someone hosting the party, or was willing to pay, he was not getting in. Girls, especially those dressed in more revealing outfits were let in no question. The frat boys hosting the party who stood at the door decided who was let in or not based completely on gender and looks. 

When I asked other people about why things were the way they were at parties I usually got the same answer; it’s just how it is, it doesn’t mean anything. I was told girls got in based on looks, but this wasn’t sexism because girls knew it was happening and were able to use it to their advantage. Everyone thought they were above it all. Sexism did not exist here, so it was okay to encourage girls to dress a certain way and essentially be on display for the guys there. 

It’s important to be aware of enlightened sexism, and the whole concept of enlightened prejudices in general. It doesn’t only apply to sexism; the same thing happens in many areas of oppression. Too often society assumes it has fixed something and we forget to keep fighting. But that’s just it, we have to always be aware and stand up for what we believe. 

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.