This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The CW network has become known for its ever-growing slate of DC superhero shows including Arrow, the Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and more. Recently, the show that started it all aired its final episode after premiering eight years ago. It’s a bittersweet finale for many Arrowverse fans, as this show is what created a fan-favorite universe. 

Arrow first premiered back in October 2012. The show centered around billionaire Oliver Queen when he returns to Starling City after being shipwrecked for five years. During those five years, Oliver trained to become a vigilante later known as the Green Arrow. Throughout the show, Oliver, as the Green Arrow, fights various criminals and villains to protect both his city and the multiverse. 

As the seasons went by, the Arrowverse grew to include 6 current shows, one to air in fall 2020, and countless more hinted through various easter eggs in episodes. The arrowverse has grown so popular in fact, that during the latest crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths, many iconic iterations of DC heroes in movies and TV made cameos. This included Tom Welling (Smallville), DC’s Titans, Tom Ellis’s Lucifer, Brandon Roth’s Superman, and most notably Ezra Miller as DCU’s the Flash.

The finale itself was beautiful as many of the important characters throughout the seasons returned to pay their respects to the fallen hero. Oliver Queen had sacrificed his life to save the entire universe. Also, his sacrifice brought back some important people in Oliver’s life including his mother, his best friend, and another good friend. Many fans were excited to see these characters that played integral roles throughout the seasons return. 

One of the best moments of the finale is when fans got to see Oliver reunited with the love of his life, Felicity Smoak, in the afterlife. The afterlife was a recreation of the first moment Oliver met Felicity in his mother’s office. Many fans would notice the iconic red pen, Felicity used laying on the desk. Something amazing about the character of Felicity Smoak is that she was only supposed to appear in one episode but became one of the most important characters in the show. The final shot of the entire show was the two looking out across the city they saved. 

Although Arrow is over and we will no longer see Stephen Amell on our screens as such a beloved character, the character received such an amazing and well-written ending. It’s so bittersweet to see the end of Arrow. But fans are incredibly thankful for its eight-year run and its role as the catalyst for the Arrowverse as a whole. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.