Eat This, Not That: Dining Hall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I stepped outside the other morning in my cardigan and was hit by a blast of wind so icy that I was forced to make a swift U-turn back to my room to get a jacket. That little incident was definitely Mother Nature’s way of reminding me that it is officially fall in New England and I would simply just have to get over the fact that I can’t wear my high-low skirts anymore. As the cold weather approaches, most Collegiettes become concerned with maintaining the summer bodies they worked so hard for all spring, as the temptation to drink hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce morning, noon and night is very real (Although a little extra padding for the winter certainly wouldn’t go amiss- Boston’s winters can be brutal!) That being said, there are some very simple substitutions you can make to your choices in the dining hall which cut back on the calories without sacrificing any of the taste. Here are a few suggestions to get you started.

Disclaimer: I live in West so these may be a little biased but I’m pretty sure these can apply to any of the dining halls on campus.

Breakfast

I know from talking to my friends that breakfast tends to be most people’s least favorite meal. Now I’m not going to bore you with the whole “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” spiel because I’m sure you’ve heard it a million times, but just know that only bad, bad things come from skipping breakfast.

Eat it: eggs! Eggs get such a bad rap for no reason! Eggs are a great source of protein and they are super filling. Some scrambled eggs with a side of whole wheat toast and some fruit or an omelette loaded with yummy veggies are all great options for breakfast. If eggs aren’t your thing, more often than not there are plenty other options like whole wheat pancakes or French toast, just make sure to go easy on the syrup.

Skip it: White flour. Whenever you have a choice between the whole grain option and the white option, always go whole wheat. White flour is digested really easily so you’ll be hungry again in about 5 minutes, thereby packing on the pounds. This means you should probably avoid the waffle maker; not saying that you should never eat those waffles again but they are definitely not a good idea every day. Also, I know everyone will probably hate me for saying this but you should probably try to limit your bacon intake too, your waistline will thank you for it.

Lunch:

I feel like lunchtime is when BU offers the largest variety in terms of food and it’s generally the time people go overboard with the whole all-you-can-eat thing. There is really no need to eat a burger, pizza, fries and nachos in one sitting. Trust me; no good can come of that.

Eat this: If you must have a burger, simple things like switching the bun to whole wheat or eating your burger open faced can cut out some of the calories. The deli is the perfect option where you can create your own healthy sandwich, filled with lean meats and/or veggies. Whenever the grill has a chicken sandwich I always get it on a whole grain bun because it’s usually delicious and way better for you than a burger. I also sometimes like to get a whole grain English muffin and melt a little cheese on it, get a scoop of tuna from the deli and lots of vegetables from the salad bar and make my own mini tuna melt.

Skip it: The usual suspects- pizza, fries, burgers etc. The thing about pizza is that one slice rarely fills you, so you need to eat at least a few more or something else to feel satisfied and those calories add up. Similarly, if you’re going to eat a burger, opt for the single patty and cheese-less kind- a burger is bad enough, a double cheeseburger should be a once in a while type of meal.

Dinner:

Personally I’m not a huge dinner person unless it’s a meal I really like and that usually requires my mom to be cooking  – so I’m pretty limited in my scope for dinner food here. However the rules are generally the same. An ideal meal includes a lean protein, a complex carbohydrate and some vegetables. Brown rice, sweet potatoes and whole-wheat pasta are all good but it’s a little difficult to do this at dinner because the dining hall doesn’t always have these options. That’s why I consider dinner the best meal to relax the rules a bit. 

Eat it: Chicken stir-fry is a pretty common meal in the dining hall and with a side salad it’s a pretty safe choice. Pasta with marinara sauce and veggies is also great. Grilled potatoes, grilled chicken; actually anything grilled is usually a good choice. If nothing else always add a salad to your meal and eat it first so you have less room for the other less nutritious aspects of your meal.

Skip it: Anything fried or covered in a creamy/cheesy sauce- alfredo pasta, mac and cheese, fried chicken etc. If you’re a burrito lover consider leaving out the wrap and turn it into a burrito bowl which tastes just as good, I swear!  

Here’s the thing with desserts; they are fine if you don’t have them after every meal and you don’t overdo it. A cookie or two really can’t hurt so go ahead and indulge a little bit, you’ve earned right? If you really a want a dessert option that’s both healthy and delicious though you can slice up and apple, sprinkle with Sargent’s Choice granola and a little (or a lot) cinnamon and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and voilà, you have a healthy apple crumble! You’re welcome.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.