This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When companies and classes shifted into the remote landscape, employees and students alike had to find ways to work from home. Whether that was some light redecorating to create an “office” workspace or building a morning routine that would take the same amount of time as the A.M. commute, everyone had to adapt to make it work. And with that came the inevitable struggle to function at somewhat pre-Covid standards. Tips and suggestions flooded the internet: work at your desk only (move if you want to go scroll through social media), jump on Zoom even if it’s just a silent “workroom,” dress up as you would normally, and countless others.

I’ve had an easy time doing the others—chaining myself to my desk during classes (no Zooming from bed for me), making green tea in the morning as a stand-in for a commute, etc. But dressing up has proven to be very difficult.

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

I was never a jeans girl even pre-pandemic, opting instead for skirts, dresses, and leggings. I started most of social isolation in leggings, which made me feel kind of normal, but now I’m a big sweatpants wearer. When I first started, I texted my friend and remarked that I felt like a TV portrayal of someone in rehab—I used to never wear sweatpants. Combined with a new tendency to tie my hair up in a bun, I felt so unlike me. Don’t get me wrong—plenty of people rock the look, but it just wasn’t my look.

The tip to get dressed normally is a good one. I feel way lazier and productivity-averse when I’m in baggy clothes that resemble my pajamas, but a nice sweater or blouse instantly gets me alert. That’s not to say that some days I won’t opt for an oversized sweatshirt or a worn-out T-shirt, but I’ve found that dressing up definitely helps me get in the right mindset for work or class.

I’m not quite at the level of wearing skirts or dresses again (plus, it’s cold!), but I think if I can put away the sweatpants on the weekdays and opt for leggings, that’ll do me a world of benefit.

I don’t wear makeup, but for those that do, I’ve heard that some light makeup is also really helpful in terms of getting in the right headspace—or even spending a few extra minutes straightening/curling your hair if you used to do that. Sometimes when I’m feeling slumped before one of my three-hour classes, I’ll run my straightener over my hair for around 5 minutes, and it instantly makes me feel more put together.

My blazers probably won’t leave my closet in a while, but I’m committing to getting dressed every morning.

If you’re in a funk and you tend to pad around in loungewear all day, I’d suggest you try it too!

​Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook​, follow us on I​nstagram,​ check out our ​Pinterest​ board, and read our latest Tweets​!

Carina is a senior studying Economics + Psychology at Boston University. She is passionate about marketing, Sally Rooney, and caramel lattes.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.