Director of Marketing for “Split My Taxi” David Danesh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Meet David Danesh. Actually, you probably already have – and, if you haven’t, you have definitively seen him walking around campus. He’s that sophomore in SMG, coming from LA, cruising down Comm. Ave every morning, sporting a kippah, flashing a smile at everyone who’ll pass him by, pondering on life. 

What you may not know, though, is that he is also the Director of Marketing for Split My Taxi, an app created by MIT Freshman Adam Eagle.

“I got involved two months ago,” David enthuses, “they were looking for a BU representative, but I told them I don’t want to just help out for 100 bucks – I want to be on the team. I want to be in charge of all the marketing. I love it.”

The purpose of the app, he explains, is to provide students with safe, cheap, and convenient rides. The way it works is you sign up through Facebook and communicate where you are and where your next destination is and, then, the app will find other students who are sharing similar courses, so that you can contact the person and split a taxi.

It is safe because you have to use your “.edu” email address, meaning all users are college students, and the app tells you who your mutual friends are with your potential “taxi splitter”. It is cheap because you get to split your ride with other students (and we all know college kids are not the richest ones). It is convenient because it can be anywhere, anytime.

“We literally have an answer to a problem students have on every single campus,” he says passionately.

Currently, the app is mainly used by BU students; yet it will soon be introduced in New York and California campuses.

“The goal is to get it so big that we can merge with a taxi company,” he laughs confidently, “but my goal right now is to make it work.”

Currently, David is working on getting the promo video out, spreading the word, and getting as much social media to voice their sensational app. With ambition like his, he will definitively go far. And sorry, he’s not single.

To sign up visit Split My Taxi on Facebook.

After living most of her life in the polluted, traffic-filled streets of Sao Paulo, Brazil that reverberate ambulance sirens, Meli knew she wanted a city-campus college experience and made her way to BU, College of Communication. With a profound interest in the human psych, love for words, and unpredictable multicultural background, she knew advertising was the field that would merge all of her passions into one. Her desire to travel the world, getting lost in exotic cities, tracing narrow cobbled streets, and the thrill of the unknown, is similar to what lures her to advertising: the dynamic and flexible characteristic of the field, which forces it to constantly adapt to emerging social trends. With two years left to complete her degrees in Advertising and Psychology, she plans on spending a semester abroad interning in London, diffusing her Brazilian culture through her campus, eating chocolate and blogging about travel.  
Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."