Daydream Your Way Through Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s the time of the year where we learn to appreciate time the most. During the semester, sleep deprivation is often caused from typical college life: partying, late nights hanging out with friends, and part-time jobs. Once April hits, the most common culprit of sleep deprivation: late nights in the library. We are constantly reminded of the importance of sleep during finals week, and there is plenty of research that shows us that sleep helps consolidate memory, yet still we often don’t sleep as much as we should.

So for those of you who will still refuse to sleep, you’re in luck with a sleepless strategy that will help improve memory. The middle ground when you refuse to believe sleep is productive: the daydream. 

Recent research found that an awake resting state might consolidate memory in a way similar to what happens during sleep. After learning, if the brain is let to wander with little awareness of external stimuli, it results in greater memory recall compared to doing a task that requires focus. In addition, those who let their minds wander even when doing a specific task have better memory recall than those who remain completely focused on the task.

So, as finals week is among us and you are firmly set on postponing catching up on sleep, letting your mind wander for just a few minutes a day may help you keep that information locked—at least until you hand in that final.   

Alana is a junior studying Psychology at Boston University. While a born and bred New Englander hopelessly in love with the city of Boston, she derives much enjoyment out of planning trips to faraway places. She enjoys meeting new people, stealing Crossfit workouts off of 'box' websites, practicing yoga, and watching Grey's Anatomy. Her life-long goals include advocating for women's empowerment and promoting overall well-being.
Giana Grimaldi is the Integrated Marketing Director at Her Campus Media, overseeing client services and campaign execution for leading national brands across the company’s digital, experiential and community platforms. Prior to joining Her Campus Media, Giana assisted with the development and implementation of several PR campaigns in the energy, financial services and nonprofit sectors as an Account Coordinator on the Public Relations team at Rasky Partners. Giana attended Boston University, where she studied Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and was also a chapter president of Her Campus at BU. Giana loves all things music, social media, food, and reality TV. When she's not at work, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, making the perfect Spotify playlist, or spending hours scrolling through TikTok videos. Follow her on Instagram @_gianamaria.